SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dedicated - Rails - Multiple Sites?

I've made a couple small Ruby Apps locally and I really don't want to deploy them on a shared service such as Blue Host (nothing wrong with them, just would rather have my own box).

I'll probably be running Mongrel - will I have a problem with multiple rails sites on the same box with resources, to many mongrel requests, etc...

Just looking for tips or suggestions at this point. One of the apps is a game and while I won't have a lot of users for a while probably I would rather start off with something to grow into. The other aps are just niched **** type clones and a rss feed directory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first bottleneck will probably be RAM, running mongrels are usually about 50 MB ram and each site should probably have at least two mongrels. RMagic or other such requirements may make that more ram-hungry.

So, if you have a low end dedicated box or a VPS slice with 256 MB ram, two Rails apps may be about the conservative limit.

There are some fairly cheap options out there:
    http://www.slicehost.com/
    http://www.serverpronto.com/
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say get a dedicated server. You can use a small, lightweight, budget server from any of the big server hosting companies. If you only house 2 sites then 256mb ram is fine for now as long as your not over using mysql or postgresql too much.

Just use Apache or Lighty to proxy into your mongrel_cluster servers. When you need to move up you can get another light weight server and use the mongrel_cluster feature to expand your site's power at a low expense.

That might be the way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If these are low traffic sites, a single instance of evented_mongrel should be more than sufficent. On a Celeron 2.4 w/ 512 MB of RAM evented_mongrel can put up 300 req/sec even with more than 100 cocurrent users. Its still best to proxy to it behind a proper web server that can serve the static content. Apache 2.2 + mod_proxy + evented_mongrel is slightly more complex to setup, but super slick once you get it working.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any tutorials on this out there that are good for anyone relatively new at this? I'm currently running 2 dedicated servers but they are partially managed by the hosting company.

I've added some things, upgraded apache, etc... Just feel over my head deploying my rails aps. In fact, I'm spending more time just screwing around with the code than deploying them because I really feel clueless on the deployment end

I'm sure I'm not the only one in the same boat. I've developed small apps in PHP for years, done some work with cake, etc... Almost always was fine on a standard install with normal libraries. I'm sure that others are in the same situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - That IS helpful.