SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are webrings useful marketing tools?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Depends on the ring.

9 45.00%
  • They are a waste of time and space.

7 35.00%
  • Yes, I receive business from webrings.

4 20.00%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Webrings--Marketing Tools or Ugly Linkware?

With the bouncy state of webring.org ownership and the ability for just about anybody to create and maintain a webring, do you find this a valid marketing tool to bring traffic to your pages, or has it become outdated waste of precious page space? Do you ever surf a webring of interest? Do you belong to any rings?
    DawnWalker Design
    Melissa Walker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    99% of webrings are a waste of time, space, you name it. Most of the time, you get Billy Bob's Personal Home Page when you enter those rings. The credible sites just don't waste their time in those things - have you ever seen a successful, popular site, or a business, use a webring? Probably not. I just think there are better ways to build traffic. Do it through link exchanges and search engines.

Bruno Delepierre
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I entirely agree with mjames but if the ring is reputable it just might give you some targeted traffic. If the ring is topical and your site matches the topic perfectly than people will be interested in your site and just may click trough your site if they didn't find what they were looking for.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use webrings with my wilderness site, they don't bring in alot of traffic, but around 10 uniques a day.

The rules for these rings simply state that the page the ring links to must have the ring link on it. So I made two or three pages, I think they're called ring1.php, ring2.php etc with a welcome message and the ring code on it.

Not alot of traffic, but it doesn't hurt.

I also run a topsites list on my site and I had that page join the webring as well. The topsite list does bring me in good decent traffic as well, 20-30 uniques a day.

One good side effect of these types of programs is that while you don't get a ton of traffic, there is seemingly a higher chance that a webmaster of a site similar to yours may show up. That webmaster may just add a direct link to your site, and so this could indirectly increase your link popularity.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly a waste but they still generate some traffic. Much depends on the subject matter of the ring.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there r goods ones (decent amounts of FREE targeted traffic), depends on how the ring is ran though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hardly any big commercial sites I've seen are part of a webring, most are for personal sites.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be part of a Furry Art ring (see my avatar if you're not sure what furry art is ) which brought in around 50-70 visitors per day..but it was a very niche site.
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started a webring and I modified the webring code so that the image that it displays is a link back to my site increasing sites linking back to me. The ring I run is for writing sites so it's very specific. The sites on the list aren't very big and average 1-5 hits a day from the rings. However, since doing this the number of sites reverse linking to me has gone up in google.

Just make sure the ring is quality and very specific. I've had only 2-3 hits total of the other ring I joined. I'm about to drop that ring all together because the one I started gets me more traffic!
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a pretty good idea there.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i run a webring also, i modified the ring code so that it doesn't take up much space (small compact design) and has no big banner on it either, just a small 50x50 image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey any of you run a good freebie ring?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback! As far as "commercial" webrings go, they are pretty rare except for the Web Graphics industry where there seems to be some fairly successful rings. I like the idea of starting a specialized ring that directs traffic back to you, but I've assisted in ring upkeep and it can just be--yucky. I don't know if it's worth the handful of hits a month, but giving it a try can't hurt.
    DawnWalker Design
    Melissa Walker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webrings favor certain sites unfairly.

If all the sites in the ring have equal traffic, they would be fair. Otherwise, the bottom half or more of sites would benefit from it and the top few would lose from it.

This makes the large sites want to pull out of the ring, and this is a chain reaction. Most webrings reduce to very low traffic sites only after a certain time. This is why webrings have a bad name in larger sites, and tend to be only used on personal or hobby sites.

If a webring only accepted certain sites based on their traffic, then perhaps they would be more attractive to larger sites.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff