Thread: Salesman Tips?

Marketing Guru ;) Johan Malmberg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salesman Tips?

Hi,

I am starting at my new job next week, I will work as an salesman, selling newspaper subscribtions by phone.
    I have tried to find a site that gives tips on how to become a great salesman. Does anyone know a site that could help me with that?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Johan

The more I read about marketing and salesmanship the more I get to the following conclusion.

In marketing and salesmanship--especially marketing--you have the biggest egos and the least trained "professionals". You have all kinds of people that claim that they're the best, but when you ask them to show off their technical expertise in the subject, they run a mile on the other direction—they've never read a book on the subject from a proven professional.

The problem with the internet is that anyone can create a web page, claim that he is the best, and sell you some BS that's never been tested before.

If you truly want to learn salesmanship, then I recommend that you start with hard copy books that deal with the subject. There is a process of elimination that comes with publishing a real book; it's not as easy as launching a web page. First, read books from people that have proven themselves. Then you can read articles on the Internet. This way, you'll know enough to distinguish the BS from something that can be useful.

I am sorry, I don’t have a book to recommend in learning salesmanship. If you need to learn marketing, send me an e-mail and I will send you back a list of books that you should read.

If anyone has a recommendation on a book, tell us about it, I’d also be interested to know.

PS: Stay away from any piece of literature that teaches how to trick your customers or how to “hypnotize” your customers into buying. Any real professional makes it by caring for the customer’s needs and finding a way to meet those needs—that’s how you get satisfied clients and good word of mouth.

Marketing Guru ;) Johan Malmberg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi SheriffG.Guirguis,

I did what you told me and went to amazon trying to find a book. After I searched for telemarketing, telephone sales I found some very interesting books I ordered right away.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad I've helped

Good luck to you!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should read "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. I use his advice and methods almost every day, and believe me, they do work. I've gotten tons of "extras" since I've read his book. Read it once, then read it again, and again.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or if you don't want to read it you could get the CD version!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to get used to the response "I don't care, go away" answers on the phone. Thats what I say to phone salesman.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW - you say that much? I just laugh manically and hang up the phone.

SitePoint Enthusiast Fluffy bunny slippers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ask for there home number and tell them i'll call them back, they always so no for some reason...
    If you like the look of my slippers you should see my undies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sales isnt that hard. (i did it door to door for 6 months)

its a little different with telemarketing because you cant really start up a conversation about there front yard, ect ect, the best thing you can do for yourself is believe in the product you are selling, if the product is crap then you will find it very hard to sell, if you think the paper you are selling is crap, then you are going to find it hard to tell people why they should subscribe to it.

try using humour to lighten the conversation up, nobody wants to talk to a boring salesmen, but one that seems half normal will be more stomachable.

hope that helps, ;0)