User Tag List

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiding META tags?

I've noticed recently that some sites are able to rank very high in search engines, yet when you go to look at their keywords, they've hidden their meta tags! How is that done?

I read an article on it by IMC awhile back, but for the life of me I can't find it!

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Sparkie

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure they would be able to 'hide' meta tags. Maybe they are not using them, but instead making the title tags and the content keyword-rich.

SitePoint Evangelist azizur_rahman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparkie,

I dont think thats possible for because search engines needs to reade these values off the page.

What happaning these days is that search companies like Google are charging companies for being top... say Amazon.com they payes Google so that they can come up #1 on the search.

Other thing I've done is... if you have unique content.... you dont need metatags take www.centralbanking.com website of the company I work for, I sepend about several hours sending site info to searchengines every week...

but if you go to the site there not much Meta data there... because I cant be borthred to put them on every pages... because I dont get paid to do that....I know it should be part of my job but they seems to think that's exrta work and so they dont pay and now I dont do that.

But advances in search algrthms has made it possible for them to search even PDF files... so these days you dont need meta data... but to be on top you'll need money or unique content.
    Azizur Rahman
    Web Application Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I seemed to think that also

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a lot of search engines nowadays, Meta tags don't mean anything. This is because of spamming and abuse. Instead they take words from the page.

One thing to do is to make your graphic alt-tags very descriptive and use your keywords in the description.

Others look at keyword density in the main text and expect it to be around 5-8% so it appears like normal language.

Still others give you better rankings by how many links and who is linking to you.

It is a complicated issue these days to get a good listing.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparkie, if you're interested in the latest news on things like this, I recommend subscribing to the Trafficology Newsletter. It's a monthly newsletter and I always enjoy reading it
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by azizur_rahman
    What happaning these days is that search companies like Google are charging companies for being top... say Amazon.com they payes Google so that they can come up #1 on the search.
    Are you sure? I know Google has their AdWords program, but they are kept separate from the actual results. I think if Amazon is on top in Google, it's because they have more links pointing to 'em. There are a few basic metrics that modern search engine use today, from my understanding:
    • Link popularity (how many sites are linking to yours and your link architecture throughout your site)
    • Keyword density (the percentage of keywords to overall text)
    • Link Text Relevancy (weather the sites linking to you are popular themselves and what appears in the text they use to link to you)
    Essentially, since meta tags were so abused and unreliable, search engines have started to compile there own meta data for there indexes instead of relying on what you provide. :-)

~~Hope This Helps

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've probably come across some cloaked pages also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by JMulder
    Sparkie, if you're interested in the latest news on things like this, I recommend subscribing to the Trafficology Newsletter. It's a monthly newsletter and I always enjoy reading it
    Yep, I'm a super-trafficology member
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    Yep, I'm a super-trafficology member
    Me too! Woohoo, the newsletter is very good.
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com