User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by activeweb View Post
    Why discuss and focus your energy on "Why Do People Fail?"

Instead... focus on, discuss and study how people Reach Success and you will get a lot more out of that discussion. (just my opinion)

Speeeedy J had some good pointers
    In the United States 50% of graduates of interactive media programs and similar programs fail in the sense that 10 years after graduation they are no longer in the industry. I got this figure from one of the directors of the IM program a Chicago's Columbia College. Of the remaining 50% obviously not all are happy and some are borderline failures because they're not doing the type of work or they're starving or they're just plain burned out.

This is a very high figure so I think they're having a useful discussion understanding why people fail so they don't have to repeat the same mistakes. Our discussion will actually help them-as opposed to admission counselors in IM programs (people who are essentially salesmen) or the ads you see on TV ("National Academy of Art and Design" or whatever).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Passion.
    No mindset development for a winners attitude.
    Not willing to create and learn. Short cutters.

Did not think before acting.

Started with Bad parenting or environment.

Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK but this is what I want to hear from those of you who consider yourself successful.

How do you define "success" in interactive multimedia?

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think success is different for different people. Some are happy that they can work in the field they have chosen and make enough money to have a decent life by their own standards. Others see success as owning a company with employees, having all the accouterments that their particular society values as success.

I consider myself successful because I do what I want to do most, I am my own boss, I live where I want to live and enjoy life.

So it is a personal assessment more than anything, in any field you are working in.
    .Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitochondrion View Post
    I think they're having a useful discussion understanding why people fail so they don't have to repeat the same mistakes.
    Study success to become successful

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People fail because they want to. When I fail at something I analyze why. It helps to learn from your failures. After specious rationalizations you'll realize the truth.

Simply put, failure is a problem to be solved.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomi View Post
    People fail because they want to. When I fail at something I analyze why. It helps to learn from your failures. After specious rationalizations you'll realize the truth.

Simply put, failure is a problem to be solved.
    Who *wants* to fail?
    And so I got lost in code...completely asphyxiated by it...

Premium WordPress plugins - Tribulant Software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failure is the wrong way to look at it....you should view it as a learning experience. Learn from your mistakes...and continue on your road to success. Don't give up

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrid View Post
    Who *wants* to fail?
    People that have failed. Think of it this way. Who does what they don't really want to do? The answer is no one. No one does what they don't *want* to do.

Some people will argue (really only rationalizing their own actions) that they sometimes *have* no choice, that there are somethings that you have to do. But the truth is you always have a choice.

There are yet other people that are just predisposed to success. These people's success, I have learned, comes from deeply embedded personality traits that facilitate their decision making - providing an easier path to success.

For yet other people it is more difficult to choose to be successful. But it is possible, If you make yourself conscious of that decision every morning.
    Last edited by atomi; Apr 29, 2007 at 09:20. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not smart and not work hard

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Another Designer! Just want to share my view to your interesting post.

I guess one of the things that leads to being unsuccessful in one's career is lack of focus. Surely, in any job, destructions are inevitable. May it be emotional, physical, spiritual or social, all these will surely affect you. Or at times, you'll be bombarded with things that you have to do and sometimes don't know where to start. Focus is indeed valuable. We must not let things not related to work ruin all our plans. There is time for everything...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One should consider not why we fail, but how we fail. In the end it's the journey that brings us the answers and the journey that brings us to the enlightenment of the truth that lies within ourselves. The diversities in each of us is as individual as our fingerprints. Each has a talent, knowledge base, support, and a capacity to learn. The road is not paved in gold... it is paved in sweat, hard work and persaverence, if your fingers have no prints.. take off your gloves. ;-)
    25 years of award winning design.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the ultimate failure...

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, to fail is to give up and die.

Literally 45 minutes ago, a gentleman and I saved a (rather large, and strong) woman who was jumping off of a 15-story freeway ramp.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...01824&t=k&om=1
    She almost took us both over with her. I saw my life flash before me, and I refused to fail her or the other man. We were all halfway over the edge of the concrete railing looking down as her legs were in the air, and the man and I slowly pryed her back onto the freeway shoulder, until the cops came to take her away. That woman had reached the end (hopefully not anymore), I don't know what misery or "failures" or experiences she has went through, but please PLEASE anyone reading this: the ONLY true failure is losing the will to live. Where there is a will, there is a way!

Take a moment the next chance you get to hug a loved one near you, or even someone you may be in a fight with but really still care about them. We never know when we'll go... don't sweat the small stuff-- life is too short. Love one another, be thankful you're alive.

How do I get over being in shock? I call my fiancee first, of course. And then I come to SitePoint.

Anyway, this experience brought me to another point I forgot to mention.

To have Determination, the positive attitude of willpower, a refusal to "fail" before starting any task or setting a goal. Combined with the previous suggestions in my 2nd post, this is a powerful weapon for reaching success. If we apply that attitude to anything we want to accomplish, the amount of success in small areas in our lives would add up to larger successes.
    --Jim---
    Catch me if you can.

Web development Company chrisranjana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inspiring post. To fail is to give up.
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Jim That's some major drama. Haven't had something like that happen to me before. Don't wish for it either, but really moving experience. Nice post.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeeedy_J View Post
    As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, to fail is to give up and die.
    So is the key to success "Never Give Up, Never Surrender"?

I totally hear you out, though; I wouldn't mind being a Good Samaritan every once in a while but I wouldn't want to die as one.
    Boyd's OODA Loop:
    Observe, Orient, Direct, Act

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree, that is too simple, people are not programs, the path people take are as unique as each individual. There are methods to motivate, but i wonder if there really are any surefire ways to be successful? At least in discussing failure, we can see if any of our bad habits, thinking patterns fit the mold, so we can change. So this thread is really about wanting to be successful, you just need to look at it from different angle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order to determine if you have failed or succeeded you need to have a clear objective, a finish line that you are aiming for. In order to succeed you need to map out a solid plan to reach the goal and to have realistic objectives of what success means. To some, success is just reaching the finish line while others need to be in the top 10 or even number one. You must have a clear objective before you know if you have succeeded or failed.

Failure and success are too subjective to be measured in broad terms without falling into the socially defined definitions: to succeed you need to earn x amount, be married and have kids, own your own home, drive a fancy car, own a big TV etc... It is hard to do, but we need to try to define our own measures of success. I am successful professionally (and personally) because I am reaching my goals, however my friends and family don't see it that way. They think I am failing since I don't make as much money as they do, I don't own my home, my car is a junker, not married, no kids...etc. It is all in the eye of the beholder.
    "You can just hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around...
    Or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters."
    - Cartman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abb View Post
    I disagree, that is too simple, people are not programs, the path people take are as unique as each individual. There are methods to motivate, but i wonder if there really are any surefire ways to be successful? At least in discussing failure, we can see if any of our bad habits, thinking patterns fit the mold, so we can change. So this thread is really about wanting to be successful, you just need to look at it from different angle.
    Study and focus all your energy on failure...and that's what you're going to get. If you want to cure your bad habits and negative thinking patterns, study the minds and thinking patterns of rich and successful people.

The only surefire way to be successful is to learn from your mistakes and never give up

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the answer is pretty simple: they didn't put in 100% to whatever they're doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no stories of success to study...everybody I knew was in trouble and nobody was meeting my definition of success. At best, the guys who kept their jobs got stuck in places they hated and were afraid to leave because of the market. All the award-winning guys I know lost their jobs in 2001 and 2002 and had to lower their expectations for the future because they never fully recovered. Some later returned to teach part-time at the interactive multimedia program I graduated from. I know hardcore database programmer guys who enjoyed steady career growth despite the ups and downs of the industry but I'm not a C++ programmer. I had commercial experience with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Director, Lingo and was wickedly good with Photoshop imaging for the web. Basically is my story is as follows: worked as a nurse's assistant while in junior college in the mid-1990s, considered nursing but entered an IM program as a transfer in 1997 and graduated in 1999. I pursued IM because I was a good classical artist with hand-drawing skills and had been in computers since the late 1980s when my buddies and I owned 8-bit Atari machines in Europe. Unlike some of my buddies from the interactive media college who never found steady work I actually had a full-time job for almost 3 years designing front-end website stuff for corporations. However, my impression of the IM job market overall was so negative I went back to school in 2003 and decided to return to healthcare. As weird as it sounds, I'm graduating from nursing school next spring with a second Bachelor's degree. I will try design on the side as a freelancer starting next year. There are a lot of nurses involved in designing medical illustrations for websites and textbooks and the importance of interactive media in nursing education is skyrocketing. For example, our nursing school textbooks come with those little CDROMs with digital lectures and quizzes the students can take on their computers. That stuff is designed in Director and most of the time it's primitive crap. I could make better stuff 8 years ago. Currently I'm trying to run into some really smart nursing informatics researcher at the school and share my story and ask what, if anything I could do with my IM experience to make it useful to nursing research and practice. Nursing informatics and related topics are huge in nursing and in fact a lot of kids are pursuing Master's degrees in such areas.
    Last edited by Mitochondrion; May 7, 2007 at 16:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanjh View Post
    I think the answer is pretty simple: they didn't put in 100% to whatever they're doing.
    It's not that easy. I've seen people put in 150% and still fail. Many have been people who are just stupid. Having worked in a management position, I have to say that there are indeed stupid people who can't follow directions because they don't want to or they have attitude.

There's also a group of just simply disadvantaged people, for example immigrants in the US, who are disadvantaged from the start. The American Dream is a sham. People come from Asia with Engineering degrees to do manual labor in factories or work in restaurants.

Back to technology...
    My guess is that many people fail because they certainly don't love what they do. I'm good at what I do (web design+occassional programming/development if necessary) but at some point I discovered some of my sites sucked and some were awesome. The difference was that I didn't care to make websites for businesses and e-commerce. I loved making sites for non-profits and academic purposes (even at a discounted rate).

That's my two cents.
    The Internet is prettier on a Mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psychedelic View Post
    The American Dream is a sham. People come from Asia with Engineering degrees to do manual labor in factories or work in restaurants.
    My best friend's husband is a 22 year old first-generation emigrant from Poland who moved to the states some 4 years ago. He speaks poor English and very likely can't write in English at all. He's good at carpentry. He earns $6,000/month installing siding. He lives the American dream although his job is undoubtedly hard; he could fall off a roof or something and he doesn't spend a whole day sitting in front of a computer and eating. The American dream has always been there except it comes with a price tag that some people will reject.