SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being too negative, too many excuses when things go bad or complains even when things are going well; Always blaming others and never learning from own mistakes. Not open to improvements, too stubborn for egotistical, vain or "psychotic" reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Restricting my answer to those of us who are privileged enough to spend their time on sites like this, I think the most common reason for failure is laziness. Through endevour most of us are able to achieve their goals.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bochgoch View Post
    Restricting my answer to those of us who are privileged enough to spend their time on sites like this, I think the most common reason for failure is laziness. Through endevour most of us are able to achieve their goals.
    I would say that it is often the laziness of the mind. The idea that things have to come to you somehow without the effort that it truly takes to become good at something. The lofty and unrealistic goal setting before the capability came even remotely close to do such a thing. All of those things lead to failure.
    .Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lack of motivation and proper planning probably.

but what determines if a person fails or succeeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old_expat View Post
    Okay, then tell me what steps a clumsy 20 year old who is 5' 5" tall and weighs 125 pounds would take to make sure they achieve their dream .. of playing center for the Los Angeles Lakers?

Sometimes, the worst advice one can give is, "You can do it if you try hard enough."

Failure comes in many shapes and for many reasons. Very often it's a mismatch of talent/aptitude and desire.

I don't mean that... even if you fail in other peoples eyes, but you have tried your hardest in your own eyes then you have not failed. If you havn't tried to achive your goal, you have failed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (1) Choice of wrong career

(2) Bad luck of some sort or other

(3) Lack of work ethic
    Azam Marketing, Inc.
    Award-Winning Digital Marketing and Design Results Since 1997
    Click here to read acclaimed online marketing & design blog

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People fail because they peruse the internet searching for reasons why people fail... instead of working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind, I posted a rant.
    Last edited by Mitochondrion; Apr 24, 2007 at 17:13.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think many people tend to listen too much to what other people have to say. They allow negative critics to get them down instead of taking it as an oportunity to improve and increase.
    And so I got lost in code...completely asphyxiated by it...

Premium WordPress plugins - Tribulant Software

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, having come from 16 years of self employment:

1. People fail because they have picked something they THOUGHT they would enjoy but don't

reference: I had several companies that seemed like a good idea at the time but the longer I was in them the more I realized my mistake. The last one was my auto repair shop in 1999. DAMN did I hate that!

2. People let the slightest thing deter them from what they really want

reference: When I closed my repair shop in 99 I put myself in MAJOR debt to go back to school (IT training). Upon graduation the market tanked (.com bubble burst) ... so then I was about $50k in debt and there were NO jobs to be had!

Instead of quitting I made the commitment to 'make it work'. Granted it's taken damn near 6 years to realize that dream but it has happened in the last year...... again, patience, persistence and #1, believing in what you are doing and refusing to give up.

As silly as it sounds I use the phrase from Galaxy Quest: "Never Give Up, Never surrender" .... if you truly love what you do it's a real mantra!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cringer View Post
    People fail because they peruse the internet searching for reasons why people fail... instead of working.
    Or don't look up ways that people succeed. I think that successful people walk in with a certain mindset to win-- something that can't just be obtained by wishful thinking.
    Boyd's OODA Loop:
    Observe, Orient, Direct, Act

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some from experience here.....

People fail because:
    1. Lack Motivation - either self motivation or motivation by others such as managers for instance.
    2. Distractions - not being focused on what you need to do. Whether it's small distractions like reading forums for too long, or larger distractions such as getting involved in other projects.
    3. Procrastination - thinking about something too much and for too long and talking yourself out of doing it. I do this a lot

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drjones013 View Post
    Or don't look up ways that people succeed. I think that successful people walk in with a certain mindset to win-- something that can't just be obtained by wishful thinking.
    Yes, the selfconfidence comes with the knowledge that you are capable to master even something that you have never done before. It also springs from competence that you have built over the years in your capacity to think and solve problems that are presented to you. It has to be earned with long years of honing and refining. It is not a gift handed to you.

Looking at other people and how they have done it is part of learning this. But it is more than that. You must also have something to offer that can make you proud and assured. A skill that is well developed or that you know you could. Winners are not born that way, they are selfmade.
    ——.——Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People fail because they are too weak minded. A persons real strength is in their willpower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the question rather than why people fail?? should really be when does people fail??.

Not being able to communicate to your superiors can only mean that you need to be your own superior_ that state of mind can really push you into accomplish what seems to be impossible to others.

There's no such thing as an end point until death _ of course that is to those who understands and agree with the concept of life.

A lot of time people would reach a down point or a low level in their carreer not to say failure because they pursue certain things to feed their ego when they know or feel totally not in the wrong place and understand the consequences.
    For example: The guy who rob a store then get arrested.

People fail and realises their mistakes and learn a lesson...
    [to me thats call progress]

When do people fail -- When you reach the point where you are not willing to accept or try to comprehend your mistakes... or when you reach the point where you become careless about your drive..your dream...

so why do people fail you may ask??

Lack of ( Preparation. Self Discipline. Understanding. )
    "Luck is the residue of good design"
    -Some random dude!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People fail cause they don't take risks. Risks are just simple decisions of... do I go with A, B, C or D? We always know the answer, it is the unknown outcome that causes people to inwardly curl up and die in a career they ultimately hate. We always seem to fear what hasn't happened. As I like to say...

A life without risk really isn't life at all...

So I really think if people took more risks and kept pushing during the advent of "failure", people would find themselves doing something they're happier about.

Other thoughts ...

Another thought I had, sort of a positive against this question of failure.

In my own experience I am faced with a lot of bad decision making by people who shouldn't be making decisions which ultimately ties my hands and forces me to do a sub par job. However, its driving me hard enough to want to rise above and pursue the bleeding edge of better. Not better than any one person, but just better in my craft. Sure, taking steps to better myself career-wise will surely piss off folks at your current job as this will make you a better candidate for higher pay and more say in big decisions. But just go for it, you have nothing to lose but your happiness.

Sometimes a person's biggest set back is their inability to let go of "a good thing". Sometimes that good thing has an expiration date and knowing when to let go and when to embrace will certainly help you gain momentum to not fail.
    Keep it Symple!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do people fail? .. assuming they are interested in what they're doing, they fail because they quit.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failing is a broad term.

You could fail at a job or a project for various reasons and still have a successful career.

Failing overall in a career cold be because of: lack of talent, wrong field, burnout, or just flat out not caring.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why people fail

I think many people fail through no fault of their own, as a result of totally unrealistic expectations and beliefs instilled by academic "advisors" intent on marketing specific classes, courses, and majors.

Tech comm was a hot major four or five years ago, and many colleges and universities started "technical writing" and "technical communication" majors to take advantage of the demand. A lot of bright students graduated with high hopes and expectations, and were never able to secure employment in their "field" because of low demand. That same major was--and is--being touted by academic advisors as a quick path to US$60,000.00 a year.

The same situation exists in the many "no math business" majors being offered at both the undergraduate and graduate level by many universities. Students rush through, buried in trivial "homework" and "project" assignments that leave little or no time to critically think about what they are really learning, and whether or not it is what they need to know to succeed in their chosen field. They graduate with impressive sounding degrees, and little or no real skills in business beyond memorizing the names of various academic "researchers."

As long as colleges and universities manipulate prospective students and market classes and majors by creating totally unrealistic expectations, "failure" will be a huge issue. Education is a service, and in many cases, that service is directly at-cause for the failure of those purchasing the service.

Bottom-line: failure is a description, not a state. The description can change, with new training, new expectations, and a solid dose of what personnel people call "realistic recruitment." If someone completes a four-year degree in a field, yet lacks the skills to secure gainful employment in that field, he or she is not necessarily a "failure." When the smoke and mirrors of rushing through a university clears, the failure may be traced directly back to that
    university and its tenured faculty, rather than being a deficiency on the part of the individual.

Having seen the situation at first hand (undergraduate in tech comm, graduate in "management"), I think that if financial aid were removed from the equation, the majority of colleges and universities in the US would be bankrupt in a year or two.
    Professional Race Ratings for Professional Pari-Mutuel Investors.
    www.ddssratings.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To fail is to give up and die.

Things that deter progress toward success, speaking from personal experience:

1. Lack of motivation or confidence
    2. Procrastination / laziness
    3. Poor time management
    4. Distractions within/without ones control
    5. Lack of focus on main goals
    6. Lack of experience in tools or knowledge needed to reach goals

Here's a great motivational article about Thomas Edison, who knows a thing or two about "failure":
    http://www.sysedco.com/library/Three...omasEdison.htm

--Jim---
    Catch me if you can.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To counter the above... to reach success:

1. Gain motivation by keeping your eyes on the prize. Print out a collage of everything you have in your vision of attaining and post it at your workplace. Gain confidence by learning/acquiring the knowledge or tools you need to know to reach your goals.
    2. Procrastination = a monster that will grow larger than godzilla, sneak up and bite you in half, and proceed to devour you slowly. Prevent your own death (migraines, stress, etc) by DOING things you know you have to get done, whenever you get free time. You will end up with much more free time in the end. "Laziness = End up a financially poor, miserable, unhealthy person." Paste that in big font on your wall and you will eventually do everything in your power to not be lazy.
    3. Learn how to manage time by reading articles or books on Time Management. Plan ahead. Weekly Calendars are great.
    4. Find a place to focus on your goals where it is quiet and free of most every-day distractions. Get away from the family, friends, and nay-sayers. Leave all distractive devices (cell phones, ipods) that won't help you, AT HOME or in your car. Public libraries, study rooms at colleges, local parks, are good places to start. Find your zen garden; blaring music in your ears to shut out the world does not count.

--Jim---
    Catch me if you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because you need to learn and concentrate in career, add 1 minute prayer in your entire life.

Suggestion : stop all things and concentrate in your career until you get success.
    Believe in God who loves you so much.....i am in Love
    www.ilovemoses.com
    www.torahbeliever.com
    www.iloveyoutorah.com * www.cannotstaywithoutgod.com *

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My opinion

I think someone who wants more salary, so they do their job because of money,
    not by their heart... i think so
    --------------------------
    http://www.getwisely.com/fail_in_the_careers-main.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why discuss and focus your energy on "Why Do People Fail?"

Instead... focus on, discuss and study how people Reach Success and you will get a lot more out of that discussion. (just my opinion)

Speeeedy J had some good pointers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asaengrit View Post
    I think someone who wants more salary, so they do their job because of money,
    not by their heart... i think so
    --------------------------
    http://www.getwisely.com/fail_in_the_careers-main.html
    Most people who make statements like that live with their mom and have never been out there trying to make a living, no offense because I don't know your situation.

There is absolutely no conflict of interest between loving what you do and making six figures doing it (some art directors and other creative people actually make six figures).

In fact, if you're in a creative field and you're not making enough money to cover basic expenses such as healthcare it will affect the quality of your work because instead of worrying about projects you worry about bills. You won't have any money for vacations, hobbies and other things that make you happy and help your recharge your creative batteries.

Even people who are in love with their work, if they're offered a raise, they won't storm into the accounting office demanding a pay reduction, why should they?