User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Why do people fail?

Here is an interesting question. Why do people fail in the careers?

I know it's a very difficult question to answer. However, if we can all put together our knowledge in this thread maybe we can all learn a few things.

I believe some of the reasons for failure are:
    1). Lack of preparation in your specialty.
    2). Lack of communication between you and your superiors/co-workers.
    3). You expect to fail and give off those vibes to people around you thus causing a self fulfilling prophecy.

One has to think positive. I know this sounds trite but it's very powerful.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most people land in a career by default, or choose a career that isn't right for them.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    I think most people land in a career by default, or choose a career that isn't right for them.

Yes that's a very good point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone ever really fail? I suppose it depends on your viewpoint. To come to the conclusion that your chosen career path isn't really for you, isn't really failure; if anything I would say it's the exact opposite. Lack of communication is often down to inability to communicate; we know what we want to say but don't know how to say it. The lack of of belief in one's self is something that happens literally to us when we are in the cradle and experience bolsters and confirms this. NLP can be an incredibly useful tool in this situation and I would recommend it to anyone who feels that they could do better but doesn't know why they don't.
    Last edited by mobyme; Apr 19, 2007 at 14:29.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People fail when they don't try... If they try they don't fail

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failure is an inevitable part of life. We fail so that we become strong.... There are things beyond our control that no matter how hard we try we fail to fulfill our objectives. When we give up, that is the time we loose grasp of success. That is why it is alright to fail. We all do in some points of our lives....

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People fail because they don't believe enough in their choices and in their goals. If you try, and you don't succeed, you have not failed. You have been more successfull than all the others who talk about it, but never try. Some people also fail, because they give up too easily. I won't repeat the Edison story here, but you should get stronger with every defeat? And eventually you'll get there. I truly firmly believe that. Luck is not needed, only persistence.

Web development Company chrisranjana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life - confucious
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    Laravel Php Developers,
    Ruby on Rails programmers,
    http://www.chrisranjana.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do we quantify failing, would it be to not try or to not succeed and if so which is worse failing because you didn't try or because you couldn't do it?

Failure isn't something that is easily defined. It I feel is much like beauty. It is in the eye of the beholder. What is failure to one isn't always failure to another. I think that we can only fail if we don't allow ourselves the opportunity to be happy.

I am currently doing everything that I want. I am working for my dad learning to take over his company. I am developing my skills as a designer and developer by writing my blog and running my own design company. I now know that no matter which route I choose I won't fail because I am learning and trying my best and I am giving myself the opportunity to succeed and as long as I don't quit I won't ever fail.
    My sites
    Creadiv Blogging - About Blogging, Life, And What I Like.
    The IP House - Whats my IP?

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People fail in their career because they ended up doing something which they didn't like best in their life. If a person has taste in some field and ends up working in some other field..he will be constantly haunted by the fact that he could have faired well if he was working in his field of interest. This though goes on aggravating in your mind until a stage comes where you actually start hating your job.
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "it is who you know rather than what you know" to be suceessful.

By knowing the right people, you can learn a lot. So be a team player...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do people fail?

Because they choose to give up.
    Online Startups Insight for new entrepreneurs

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AD. -- Here is what I would like to tell you about failure, and why failure is not all bad. At the time, when the failure happens, the world seems to fall apart. But you will recover with another lesson learned.

A failure often happens when you start out with assumptions, assumptions about what you are capable of, assumptions what was asked for, assumptions about the nature of the thing that you think you failed at. Often there is a lack of defining at the outset of a job, what needs to be done, outlining what is expected of you, so you work within a rubber band environment if those things are not clearly stated.

Assumption + Lack of Definition = Failure

Take a good look at why you think you have failed.
    Did you overestimate your capacity?
    Did you assume what you needed to do? (I have also read your other post and answered it. There were assumptions there on your part: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470342)
    Did you have the lack of confidence that tripped you up and you are too "other oriented" and become more unsure about yourself, because of what some other person might think of you, or say to you?

My advice is to learn, learn and learn some more, so you will be confident in what you do. When you deliver a piece of work containing this confidence, on target, and it is rejected, then it is not a failure on your part. It is the failure on the part of the other party not to recognize what you have done properly.

The term failure is applied to many steps that are absolutely necessary in the development of your skills. It is not a bad thing at all, only if you pretended to have a capability and did not get it done right, then it is a failure springing from not understanding what was required in the first place. A failure that can be corrected by getting down and learning to understand and correcting what you have failed at. The perfect piece of work is waiting for you after you have gone through this mill, this "failure".
    .Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Failure is not in my vocabulary

Failing is learning, learning is a tool for success. Do what you love... the success and money will follow. One fundamental secret to creating success is to be a very good observer and a smart listener.

Tom
    25 years of award winning design.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graneydesigns View Post
    Failing is learning, learning is a tool for success. Do what you love... the success and money will follow. One fundamental secret to creating success is to be a very good observer and a smart listener.

Tom
    Yes, I stress that point of observation a lot as well. The listening is another part. Sometimes when you listen to a person you do not really hear what is said. Result: miscommunication, which sets you off onto a path to failure.
    .Datura
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=Black
    Srirangan[/COLOR];3369051]Why do people fail?

Because they choose to give up.
    I agree... If you don't try, you will fail in your own eyes and other peoples.
    You try hard, you don't fail, even if others think you have, in your own mind you have accomplished something, because you tried your hardest

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with many others here that say failing is a requirement for success.

One other thing I would like to point out is, sometimes failure is caused because of the unknown experiences which come with success.

I have known a few people which purposely sabotage themselves when they are just about to break a big milestone... Obviously they do not do this purposely, but they do it subconsciously. Not feeling comfortable with change is normal and defianetly takes experience to overcome.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've arrived at this stage in my life after trying a variety of other things. I was very good at some of them. Even loved a few of them.
    But life happened; some things didn't fit. Some were in places I didn't want to be in. Sometimes, new opportunities came up and it was time for change.
    So, I ask, are those previous paths and careers failures - or experiences that have made each new experience a little easier and richer?
    I believe that everything I've done in my life has added to my knowledge base. And it's made it easoer to tackle new projects, tasks, environments and careers a little better prepared and eqipped.
    I think the learning curve gets shallower with a few "failures" under your belt!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal_girl View Post
    I've arrived at this stage in my life after trying a variety of other things. I was very good at some of them. Even loved a few of them.
    But life happened; some things didn't fit. Some were in places I didn't want to be in. Sometimes, new opportunities came up and it was time for change.
    So, I ask, are those previous paths and careers failures - or experiences that have made each new experience a little easier and richer?
    I believe that everything I've done in my life has added to my knowledge base. And it's made it easoer to tackle new projects, tasks, environments and careers a little better prepared and eqipped.
    I think the learning curve gets shallower with a few "failures" under your belt!
    That of course is a thing you recognize as you get older, you have hindsight. It is at the moment when things happen so very dreadful though. Only later, when you look at the sum of what you have done, will you realize all the pieces added up to this thing we all call life.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
    People fail when they don't try... If they try they don't fail
    Okay, then tell me what steps a clumsy 20 year old who is 5' 5" tall and weighs 125 pounds would take to make sure they achieve their dream .. of playing center for the Los Angeles Lakers?

Sometimes, the worst advice one can give is, "You can do it if you try hard enough."

Failure comes in many shapes and for many reasons. Very often it's a mismatch of talent/aptitude and desire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the main reason people fail is that they do not give it their all to what they want to acheive
    Covantage Templates - PSD, HTML, Flash Templates, Logos, Banners
    Developers: Upload your templates and name your own price
    Support Freelance Web Designers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old_expat View Post
    Okay, then tell me what steps a clumsy 20 year old who is 5' 5" tall and weighs 125 pounds would take to make sure they achieve their dream .. of playing center for the Los Angeles Lakers?
    I don't think a 5'5"/125lbs kid would pursue a dream of being center for the Lakers. I think Mr. J was talking more within the boundaries of reason. Having said that, we've all heard the wise (yet cliched) words "where there is a will there is a way".

From what I've seen, a lot of people fail because they quit just before the payout for their hard work arrives. Others just don't have the passion to carry through their dream. It's nice to dream but hard work to accomplish it.

Some time ago I read a phrase in a book which said: "the difference between winners and losers is the losers stopped trying."
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

prayer and faith

There is a prayer that I think will answer your question: God, grant me the courage to change the things I can, The serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to always be able to tell the difference.

Always have faith, even though it may seem impossible to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by old_expat View Post

Sometimes, the worst advice one can give is, "You can do it if you try hard enough."

Faith has carried me through many tough times, and I am not a very religous person.

Failure comes in many shapes and for many reasons. Very often it's a mismatch of talent/aptitude and desire.
    25 years of award winning design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People fail because they don't know what they're doing.
    People quit because they get tired of failing & forget that you can't learn if you don't try.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Before every meeting or every problem or every big task my manager asks us "R we clear in terms of what we are doing"