SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web design software....what's new?

For many years I've just used Notepad to create my webpages, using simple HTML code and making occasional required graphics in PaintShopPro. I've tended to avoid all the webpage-making packages. But I feel now that I'd like to play with some software that's a bit more adventurous. I run a small website for selling my art and craftwork, and also one or two other personal sites, plus maintain one for a local charity.
    I'm not looking for all the bells, whistles, flash intros and similar, but would like to practise at making webpages that are not quite so "blocky" and rigid-looking; I'd like to make something a little more streamlined, graphically more attractive. Yes I've noticed the current "make Beautiful webpages" book for sale, but want to focus on getting a useful bit of software first.
    Also, I don't want to spend several hundred pounds on software because I'm not exactly going into the business of designing pages for other people, as a career.
    I'd appreciate any thoughts as to what is currently available in the UK, or can be purchased online. Obviously I have looked around, but opinions from those with hands-on experience would be helpful. I do have rather an old PC at present (Win98) but have access to a machine running WinXP as well, so should be able to cope with most suggestions.

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ew. Notepad. There are many much better programming editors out there, many of which are free.

I'm curious, which version of PSP do you have? I have PSP7. Apparently PSP11 is out now.

Really, software itself won't make a better looking page. That's up to the designer. Software is just various tools that make certain tasks easier.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have PSP5 on the old pc and my son has PSP7 on his laptop, though it (the PSP7) seems a bit buggy. I'm rather out of date as regards the latest "stuff", I'm afraid. Wasnt Jasc/PSP taken over by CorelDraw? A lot of people keep saying that Photoshop is better for graphics, but we don't have it. I've tried for ages to produce some of those graphics that seem to have nice rounded edges, or have photos blending into other images or text;...a lot more interesting than the flat banner-type rectangles I've been making for years, as page headers. These days, all the graphics packages seem to do so many tricks, I can't keep up with it all.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSP is absolutely fine for web graphics, you don't have to use Photoshop eevn though it appears many people tell you that you should! But as Kravitz said these are only the tools to do a certain job, the skill is in the person using them. If you like PSP stick with it but it would be worth upgrading to the latest version as it is bound to have a lot more web specific features.

HTML editor wise, yes there are lots of free and low cost alternatives to Notepad, my personal choice is WeBuilder from www.blumentals.net - again you don't have to use an expensive editor at all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Corel bought Jasc, but they continue to develop PSP.

As far as PSP vs. PhotoShop, check this out.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol... here's another on based on Photoimpact which is in the same league as PSP - http://www.ulead.com/pi/compare1.htm

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you are getting paid pretty well from your work I would think it would be hard to justify buying software. If you make a living with graphics, Adobe's tools are probably the ones to use, learn and buy.

For getting back up to speed (while using XP) I would suggest Paint.NET for graphics, Nvu for your HTML and TopStyle Lite for CSS. If you need to create pages using PHP or another scripting language Nvu won't cut it but a good text editor like Araneae will. All of these apps are free.

Corel does also make some excellent graphics software (as mentioned above) but if you are looking for skills that will make you more employable/desirable, Adobe's tools are the most commonly used (not to say that Corel does not have a following amongst creative professionals - they do - their tools, while arguably as good, just aren't as ubiquitous as Adobe's) and therefore tend to be the apps employers expect you to know (and pay you partially because you have experience with them) how to use very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why Nvu?
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Dynamic Site Solutions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravvitz View Post
    Why Nvu?
    Easy to pick up for n00bs, FTP integration with site management and it is stable and pretty solid with code it may generate if the user needs to lean on a WYSIWYG view for the time being. I think it is a tool that will help lead people to hand code more - and for me it has proven a decent tool if I have to whip up something super quick that is just plain old HTML/CSS.

I was also going to suggest Visual Web Developer Express but it encourages the use of proprietary code - if you can stay pure it is pretty slick.

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know which software to suggest but just know one thing do not use Front page..........for proof you can check out the sites I created.
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandaggio View Post
    Easy to pick up for n00bs, FTP integration with site management and it is stable and pretty solid with code it may generate if the user needs to lean on a WYSIWYG view for the time being. I think it is a tool that will help lead people to hand code more - and for me it has proven a decent tool if I have to whip up something super quick that is just plain old HTML/CSS.

I was also going to suggest Visual Web Developer Express but it encourages the use of proprietary code - if you can stay pure it is pretty slick.
    NVU mangles code. Badly. I like my code nice and orderly, not jumbled together with no organization.

For HTML and CSS I recommend Topstyle Pro. I've been very pleased with my copy. Big wysiwyg editors like Dreamweaver and Golive are geared more toward non coders. All most all of them put out "bad" code that needs to be cleaned up by someone with know how.

Notepad ++ is excellent as well if you feel the need for a beefier notepad (unless that the one you're using). I'm fond of it as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    NVU mangles code. Badly. I like my code nice and orderly, not jumbled together with no organization.

For HTML and CSS I recommend Topstyle Pro. I've been very pleased with my copy. Big wysiwyg editors like Dreamweaver and Golive are geared more toward non coders. All most all of them put out "bad" code that needs to be cleaned up by someone with know how.

Notepad ++ is excellent as well if you feel the need for a beefier notepad (unless that the one you're using). I'm fond of it as well.
    NVU "mangling" your code (to reformat or not - that is the question) is a setting and it also depends on how clean the code is to begin with (it doesn't like deprecated markup at all) - a simple WYSIWYG tool if used as such, is unaware of global rules and therefore uses inline styles. Just the nature of the beast.

TopStyle is a more pro level tool and is not free either - so a comparison to NVU is not entirely fair.

Usually if an app reformats your code and you don't want it to (this may be the default behavior depending on the target market) - it is as simple as changing a setting.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water - the OP sounds like a helping hand from software would be welcome at some point a long the way that is why a suggestion was made that was in keeping with their skill level. My friend races cars but would not suggest I go out and by the same type of car as him - just because it suits his level doesn't mean it will mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    For HTML and CSS I recommend Topstyle Pro. I've been very pleased with my copy.
    I too really like this program, but I must point out that anyone thinking of purchasing it should be aware of the very real possibility that they will never see an update. Unfortunately, Newsgator hasn't done anything with it.