User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist Pixelateur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Cropping images before upload

Hi,

I want my users to be able to crop and upload images to my database and I'm looking for an easy way to do this. I looked into ImageMagick and RMagick, but installing the former seems like such an agony of pain, especially for a command line newbie like me. Is there an easier way to achieve the same functionality that ImageMagick offers?

Thanks for any input...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean resizing (shrinking the image some percentage) or really cropping (re-centering, etc)?
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Evangelist Pixelateur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both actually. I guess the second one would be a awful lot harder to do than the first one though, right? So, I guess I should focus on the first one (shrinking the image some percentages).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where you dont understand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked because if you need for lay users to crop as well as scale, I'd suggest ditching any hopes of a command line application working and go directly for free, low download size, user friendly image editors.

Maybe iPhoto for Mac, GIMP for Linux, and beats me for Windows (photo.net?).

Rmagic isn't that difficult to use from a programming perspective, but getting it installed on a client's machine ... geeze, just find an existing editor unless your needs are more specific.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Enthusiast Insane_Edna's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    acts_as_attachment will allow you to crop images as you upload them. You can find the tutorial here: http://toolmantim.com/article/2006/9..._as_attachment
    This doesn't give you control of where to crop will just crop the image. Hope this helps.