SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Afraid I can't do that Dave Hal9k's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading about this in the paper at college. It really is horrid. In the UK it's unheard of, in most places, to even own a gun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read on CNN that the gunman has been identified as Cho Seung-hui, a 23-year-old English major from South Korea..
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    Your dream can come true - if you have the courage to pursue it!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kigoobe View Post
    I thought Chineese and the east Asians in general are rather peace loving people ... after hearing 33 person killed I was expecting another west asian bearded individual ... bad prejudices ...
    You can't stereotype an entire group of people. Both of those statements sound as you said... prejudiced.

Let's try to keep this thread about offering condolences and support and not turn it into a debate about race or gun laws, which have no place on SPF.

For my own... I am shocked whenever something horrific like this happens. I can't imagine what families directly effected have to go through. And, I am just glad that my friends at Virginia Tech are alright.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mourn for those lovely young people as well. Indeed it is so sad.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archbob View Post
    Why do such thing happen?
    Too much stress in society, mental problem in the person, cruel people at the school, it all adds up, and things like this happens.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    these are all the headlines around the prints. I wonder besides just to cover the messages and news, what action can be taken to prevent this thing to happen again in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyFu View Post
    what action can be taken to prevent this thing to happen again in the future.
    IMO there really is nothing that can be done. You can't lock down a campus, a city, or a country completely and put restrictions on everything from today until the end of time. Some people will always find a way to hurt others, in one way or another. As long as any person above the age of 18 can walk into a gun shop and buy a 9mm glock with 50 rounds there is nothing that can be done. That's the sad but true reality.

There are a lot of "sleepers" and even worse, a lot of copycats out there. They're not heard when asking for help, they are mostly loners which again means that nobody really knows they are a ticking timebomb

I guess being more friendly and more aware of the people around us can bring us a big step in the right direction. But that is far from the final solution.
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    Your dream can come true - if you have the courage to pursue it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyFu View Post
    what action can be taken to prevent this thing to happen again in the future.
    well, I don't want to make a statement that may sound political, but IMO the only thing that can be done here is to come down hard on guys who sell arms in the black market. And secondly, giving licence to keep arms should also be restricted more - like, a millionaire or someone who is really running a risk of kidnapping or something similar should be given the licence to keep a gun. And even those guns should be of a maximum of 5 / 6 bullets at a time - not 22 bullets that can be used in mass murder like this one.

Problem is that u can't stop outsiders to come to a college, and then, even students of the same college can do this using their friend's or father's gun. Keeping stronger guards isn't a solution, but banning arms harder might be one.

Again, I am not making a political statement, here, we are discussing ways to stop these kinds of events getting repeated taking innocents lives.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laws will never prevent people from owning guns. Plenty of examples in other areas of "forbidden" things, substances, behavior. Prohibition is just a really fine time to point to here in the US.

In the US guns are also viewed as being important to own to defend yourself in case the government goes nuts. That is the base for why guns are owned in this country. To outlaw guns, or restrict who can own guns even more than is already the case, will bring on a huge revolt here. Americans love their freedom, to curtail it will never fly.

The only way to change things of this nature is by getting rid of irrationality and that is not really possible at this point in time. So I would think that in the future there will be more of these kinds of events.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    removed my original post, your right, SPF is not the place!
    Studiotime - Time Management for Web Developers
    to-do's, messages, invoicing, reporting - 30 day free trial!
    Thomas Multimedia Web Development

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    To outlaw guns, or restrict who can own guns even more than is already the case, will bring on a huge revolt here. Americans love their freedom, to curtail it will never fly.
    QFT.

Imposing gun control would be like the prohibition. People would obtain guns, and the government would have no record whatsoever of them.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Ahem*

Let's try to keep this on topic, shall we?

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because gun control is so irrelevant to the shooting at VT .

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually a political topic (given the current political landscape), and thus shouldn't be discussed. That, and it's far too off-topic for this particular discussion. I'd really hate to see this thread closed by an Advisor, Team Leader or Administrator because a politcal off-topic discussion happened to derail the thread, and its original intent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that long ago there was a topic here about guns. It got 6 pages long and its still open, so maybe people should post their opinion in that thread about guns instead of here.
    Last edited by Tijmen; Apr 22, 2007 at 00:42. Reason: typo...
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Nicely done Tijmen.