User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooting at Virginia Tech!!!!

Students massacred in class

At least 21 people were killed Monday in a shooting rampage at Virginia Tech -- the deadliest school shooting incident in U.S. history. The Associated Press reports 31 are dead. "Some victims were shot in a classroom," university police Chief Wendell Flinchum said.

CNN is convering this as we speak..
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    Your dream can come true - if you have the courage to pursue it!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in northern Virginia... a lot of my friends attend Virginia Commonwealth University and are friends with a fair amount of Tech students.

A friend of mine watched in horror as her entire german class was either killed or wounded by the gunman.

I think it's absolutely sick that there were two incidents, the first of which was almost completely ignored and thus made the second incident on the other side of the campus all that more deadly.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have family in Virginia; I don't know if any of them are attending VA Tech, but regardless, this sucks hard-core.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    It's awful. My heart goes out to anyone that knows anyone involved.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2 hours between the shootings makes me wonder why they did not close the school down and get students out.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They said that they thought the first one was only an isolated incident between a few people. And anyway I think it's a pretty large campus; they had thousands of students moving about probably.

This is scary though. I'll be going to college in less than 5 months, and to think that something like this is possible...
    Laudetur Iesus Christus!
    Christ's Little Flock
    Jesus is the Good Shepherd

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As bad as it is, don't let things like this get you scared. The chances of something similar happening to you are slim. I'm sure they'll re-think some security issues on college campuses nationwide.

Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devbanana View Post
    I'll be going to college in less than 5 months, and to think that something like this is possible...
    You'll miss out on a whole lot of experiences if you think too hard on them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I will stop thinking.

Lol, just sobering is all.
    Laudetur Iesus Christus!
    Christ's Little Flock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That they will. They don't have a choice.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altacia View Post
    I think it's absolutely sick that there were two incidents, the first of which was almost completely ignored and thus made the second incident on the other side of the campus all that more deadly.
    I am saddened by this awful incident. Note, though, that your comment about the first incident being 'nearly ignored' is totally inconsistent with the reports and is the kind of inflammatory language that we dont really need at a time like this. There are questions about why the campus wasn't cleared after the first incident, but it certainly wasn't ignored. Don't fall for media-madness, this story is bad enough without making it any worse with unfounded rhetoric.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. — Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another school shooting, what's that, 6 in two years or something? It's ridiculous. Don't American kids have anything better to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently not. Back in 1998, I was falsely accused of plotting to blow up my own high school - during my own graduation ceremony. I got yanked out of all my classes, and ended up failing all but one (and the teacher who refused to fail me was subsequently fired for not folllowing the party line). My GPA went from the 3.x range down to a 0.8 in two weeks.

Of course bear in mind this was immediately after a string of school shootings (this was before Columbine though).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, not that it's any of my business, but I'm quite curious how they got it in their heads you were plotting something...that's just paranoya at its pinnacle. I can't imagine you couldn't have done something legally as that probably affected a lot of things...that'd enfuriate me. :O
    Laudetur Iesus Christus!
    Christ's Little Flock

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    I am saddened by this awful incident. Note, though, that your comment about the first incident being 'nearly ignored' is totally inconsistent with the reports and is the kind of inflammatory language that we dont really need at a time like this. There are questions about why the campus wasn't cleared after the first incident, but it certainly wasn't ignored. Don't fall for media-madness, this story is bad enough without making it any worse with unfounded rhetoric.
    Apologies. To say in the very least I'm very upset; I'm trying to find out just where the rest of all my friends are. Just like the rest of you I really wish this didn't happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What could possibly make someone want to do this???
    Covantage Templates - PSD, HTML, Flash Templates, Logos, Banners
    Developers: Upload your templates and name your own price
    Support Freelance Web Designers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altacia View Post
    Apologies. To say in the very least I'm very upset; I'm trying to find out just where the rest of all my friends are. Just like the rest of you I really wish this didn't happen.
    Altacia, if there's anything you need, just ask. You know we're here for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do such thing happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the preventative measures in the world won't stop someone from stabbing you in your carotid with a bic pen....

Honestly, this is horrible. All of the spending that we've put into our budgets in terms of national security and we still have kids running around with guns killing other kids. I actually feel worse that it took an event like this to get my head out of the books to appreciate life for a moment.
    Boyd's OODA Loop:
    Observe, Orient, Direct, Act

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the thing though. Once you turn 18, you're legally an adult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Here's the thing though. Once you turn 18, you're legally an adult.
    But really, what makes an adult? Does age make a person an adult? Experience? Responsibility? There are 14 year olds that I'd trust to drive my car and 27 year olds who will never touch it. It's infuriating to assume that when a person turns 18 they have full access to the world and all the good things in it (except for alcohol in the States; that's reserved for the adults at 21).

As a rational person I can't help but think that responsibility must be earned-- the world we exist in can't help but think that if a person's money is green, who cares? I mean, someone sold him the gun, he didn't build it himself (if he did, would he have built two calibers? Not efficient.) and certainly I doubt that they stopped to ask themselves, wait, is this a responsible person? There isn't a checkbox on the gun registration that says "I'm not responsible and thus not eligible for the purchase of this handgun."

I don't mean to sound offensive but I seriously am angry at the shooter and the society that bred him.
    Boyd's OODA Loop:
    Observe, Orient, Direct, Act

Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drjones013 View Post
    I don't mean to sound offensive but I seriously am angry at the shooter and the society that bred him.
    He may be mentally ill...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your story is very interesting Dan. That's dirty politics at its best.

I thought Chineese and the east Asians in general are rather peace loving people ... after hearing 33 person killed I was expecting another west asian bearded individual ... bad prejudices ... anyway, irrespective of who has done this, its indeed an extremely bad news. I am thinking about those who have lost someone ... I'm not sure, but I heard that in the US anyone can buy firearms in the open market as we buy bread here, is that correct or just a bad rumor? Because if that's correct, may be that law needs to be changed to avoid such incidences in the future.

As more news coming up, this began as the guy had an argument with his girlfriend.

More news here ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can purchase firearms if you're of legal age and have a firearm owner's identification card (FOID). The only way to get that is to go through the State Police in the state you live in. They are pretty strict about who gets them though (forget about it if you're a felon for example).

The real problem with guns though is the black market. And I don't mean flea markets or gun shows either. I mean back-room and alley deals where arms smugglers (sometimes the same people who engage in human trafficking and drug smuggling) literally sell and trade guns and ammo to each other in the "safety" of the dark. They are the ones who give legitimate gun owners a bad name (and reputation) around here.

Of course, talking about this tangent further would cause the thread to drift into the realm of politics, so let's try and avoid that by getting back on topic, shall we?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for clarifying Dan. Its clearer now, and the problem is not specific to the US, that's a global issue. Yeah surely we shouldn't move this thread to politics, I agree with you.