SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I maintain a few simple web sites, and was wondering what the best editor/method is for updating the code of existing web sites? I find scanning the pages for the text I want to change, tedious in most html editors. I spend half my time cursing up and down looking for the text I want to change. Are WYSIWYG editors better for updates? Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Before I can go on, do you use any form of template for your website?

WYSIWYG editors are a good alternative. But note that they also generate useless html tags unnecessary..like font tags. ( In Frontpage and Dreamweaver for example )

Its a good option to place sections of code where you often update in seperate files. You can edit form there, instead of opening the page and edit. You might do something wrong and disrupt your design.

There isn't a best out there. Maybe an alternative..but its all up to you. What do you prefer? Whats the quality you want from your work. If its quality, use a text editor, try textpad 4.31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have made all your pages with one editor you should use it to update. Every editor has specific 'extras'.

Just use the same you used to design/add content

Christophe

------------------
    http://freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver is very good a the best choice here. you can create templates and lock certain areas so you dont mess the design up and if you are worried about it messing the code up it wont if its locked leaveing you to write the content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually, i think the best program to do this is www.editplus.com

it has built in ftp upload, syntax hightlighting, browser frontend, everything you could want in an application