SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

progress uploaded?

I have an upload page and was wondering if there was a way to add some sort of X percent uploaded? Like some kind of progress indicator? These are such big files that it seems like the computer is freezing up.

We're from teh basements.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This progess meter is based on the yahoo user interface library and alternative php cache (APC). You will need both of these for it to display properly. The yahoo user interface library can be found here.
    go to download the yahoo user interface
    The product is available for an introductory price of $249.
    little too steep for me.

We're from teh basements.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That guy's link to the Yahoo! UI Library erroneously points to a review of Delphi. You don't need Delphi to do this. Just the two freebies mentioned in the tutorial. I'm tired of googling now. Good luck.

The Alternative PHP Cache (APC) is a free and open opcode cache for PHP. It was conceived of to provide a free, open, and robust framework for caching and optimizing PHP intermediate code.
    http://us2.php.net/apc

All components in the YUI Library have been released as open source under a BSD license and are free for all uses.
    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned earlier, google the phrase and you will find many solutions.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...hp&btnG=Search

The ajax solution did not look too bad.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to let everyone know, I hate when people post questions and don't spend the time researching it out. I do google this stuff and I just must be a very bad googler (<< made a new word). Ajax did look great but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to implement it.
    Last edited by DKY; Apr 16, 2007 at 16:01.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so now I've got one file (the example upload file) working on my server and another file (that not only uploads a file but adds information to mysql) in another place. I need to combine the two but can't figure out how. My MySQL file, upon submission, starts to upload the file and writes to mysql while there is a blank screen. When completely uploaded I have my page show a 'you will be directed in a few seconds' page and then it redirects back to the original upload page. It is my goal to somehow change this blank screen into some sort of uploading progress meter but can't figure out what lines of code I need to incorporate into my existing code. Has anyone ever used this? Can anyone give any direction to this cause? I truly appreciate any help that you experienced programmers could give a novice like myself. I just wish that there was some sort of a class-room atmosphere that I could go to in order to learn more about this stuff.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not recommend that you store files in a database, it is not very practical and it is very easy to get corrupt databases and database backups.

What I would do, if you still want to upload the file into the database is:
    1.Use the ajax upload script, and upload the file to the server.
    2.When the file is on the server insert it into the database (would happen very quick).

Ive not looked on the source code for the ajax script, but if it use any php code just insert the db code there, or create a own ajax call which will load a php script right before the progress bar reaches 100.