SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are there enough readers out there to read your blog?

I read the other day (sorry I don't remember where) that there are too many blogs and not enough interested readers. Is this true? It seems that way. What will be the future for blogs? Will this trend fade away? It seems to me that there are a few blogs that get lots of attention, and a bunch that get some attention, maybe a few others that have little attention and a lot that get no attention. It also seems that there is a little status quo going on, where everyone feels that they need a blog to 'fit in' with the crowd.
    "You can just hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around...
    Or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters."
    - Cartman

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dev_cw View Post
    I read the other day (sorry I don't remember where) that there are too many blogs and not enough interested readers. Is this true? It seems that way. What will be the future for blogs?
    I tend to agree with you. Blogs are, in my estimation, just cholesterol that clogs the arteries of search engines. (But then, so are online forums.. NNTP based newsreaders are far better at the task) Problem is the web is being made to do all sorts of things it wasn't intended for.

Making it easy to post "blog entries" has the predictable result, more useless information on an endless array of topics no one cares about. At least with NNTP, the articles "expire". 10 years from now we won't be able to find anything due to all these ten year old blog entries clogging the search results.

SitePoint Evangelist Andrewaclt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just write interesting content. A blog can be an effective medium if you write stuff that interests others and avoid the twelve year old girl syndrome of writing mindless, uninteresting crap just about yourself and your bad day.