SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Display HTML output in Javascript application

Hello,

I have the following problem. I have a PHP script "display.output.php" that produces a certain HTML output. I use this script in several other scripts. When I want to display this output I call the script like this:

include("display.output.php");

But now I'm building another PHP script "javascript.php" script with a "Content-Type: application/x-javascript" header. So basically I use this script in a javascript code. What I need is to display the output of the script "display.output.php" in the script "javascript.php". I don't know how to do this. I've tried the following but it doesn't work.

PHP Code:
    ?>
    <!-- 
    document.writeln("<?php echo addslashes(@include("display.output.php")); ?>");
    // -->
    <?php
    Like I said, the code above doesn't work. Does any one know how I can display the output of the script "display.output.php" in the script "javascript.php"?
    Ballot-Box.net - free polls for webmasters
    FormLog.com - free form processor

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to escape all double quotes and replace newlines with \n in the output of display.output.php before plugging it into the javascript.
    Saul

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

include

Let me see if I get this.
    You want to have PHP include a PHP file that outputs javascript that writes a PHP include of another PHP file?
    I imagine there's a problem with the PHP parsing the code only once so that the PHP the js writes is too late to get parsed (javascript is client-side).
    Maybe wrap the main page in an output buffer? Or maybe a less convulted way to get the same effect?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    You have to escape all double quotes and replace newlines with \n in the output of display.output.php before plugging it into the javascript.
    Yeah, but how do I do this? Keep in mind that the output is generated by the script "display.output.php".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    Maybe wrap the main page in an output buffer? Or maybe a less convulted way to get the same effect?
    Say what?

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

possible solutions

I was wondering if you buffered the page's output, it might "give the parser" time to process the include (maybe).
    But I really think the answer is to rethink how to achieve the result you want.
    eg. have the include output the mark-up as a variable and pass that to the javascript. eg.
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $output 
    "<div>blah blah</div>";
    ?>
    <?php
    include "blah_div.php";
    document.write('<?php echo $output; ?>');
    Although as php_daemon said, the real problem may be the quotes and newlines present in the include. You could test by using a simple include that doesn't have quotes or newlines. Something like
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    <div>This is a test</div>
    ?>
    <?php
    document.write('<?php addslashes(@include "display.output.php");?>');
    If that works then you could add str_replace to the addslashes and you should be all set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to give a variable the "value" of the output in some sort of way? Something like this $output = @include("display.output.php"); ??

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

file contents

Instead of using include, you could do
    PHP Code:
    $handle fopen($path_file'r');
    $fs filesize($path_file);
    $file_data fread($handle$fs);
    fclose($handle);
    clearstatcache(); 
    The variable $file_data will contain the contents of the file as a string;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    Instead of using include, you could do
    PHP Code:
    $handle fopen($path_file'r');
    $fs filesize($path_file);
    $file_data fread($handle$fs);
    fclose($handle);
    clearstatcache(); 
    The variable $file_data will contain the contents of the file as a string;
    Won't this only work if the file only contains HTML? The file also contains PHP commands in it, so I don't think reading the file will work.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

file content

If the file has PHP commands in it then I'd put the results into a variable and pass that to the js like I showed in my earlier post.
    Or have the include output the javascript tags/code then you just have to include it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I've decided to change my method. I will buffer the output of the script "display.output.php" in a variable called $output. This is the easiest way to do it.

But how do I assign the following output to the variable $output without making change to the code?

PHP Code:
    ?>
    <table bgcolor="<?php echo $bgcolor1?>" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="<?php echo $width?>">
    <tr><td><table border="<?php echo $border?>" cellspacing="<?php echo $cspace?>" cellpadding="2" width="100%">
    <tr bgcolor="<?php echo $bgcolor1?>"><td align="center" style="color:<?php echo $txtcolor1?>; font-family:<?php echo $fontface1?>; font-size:<?php echo $fontsize1?>; font-style:<?php if ($fontstyle1 == "i" or $fontstyle1 == "bi") {echo "italic";} else {echo "normal";} ?>; font-weight:<?php if ($fontstyle1 == "b" or $fontstyle1 == "bi") {echo "bold";} else {echo "normal";} ?>">
    <?php
    I've tried the following but it doesn't really work:

PHP Code:
    $output = "
    ?>
    <table bgcolor="<?php echo $bgcolor1?>" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="<?php echo $width?>">
    <tr><td><table border="<?php echo $border?>" cellspacing="<?php echo $cspace?>" cellpadding="2" width="100%">
    <tr bgcolor="<?php echo $bgcolor1?>"><td align="center" style="color:<?php echo $txtcolor1?>; font-family:<?php echo $fontface1?>; font-size:<?php echo $fontsize1?>; font-style:<?php if ($fontstyle1 == "i" or $fontstyle1 == "bi") {echo "italic";} else {echo "normal";} ?>; font-weight:<?php if ($fontstyle1 == "b" or $fontstyle1 == "bi") {echo "bold";} else {echo "normal";} ?>">
    <?php
    ";

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

changes

I understand about not wanting to change the code, but I think it may be more about making the least amount of changes rather than none at all if you want to use the code differently.
    May I ask why you don't simply include the mark-up instead of having javascript write it? If it's because you only want javascript enabled users to see it, you could use javascript to change CSS. Maybe something like
    PHP Code:
    <div name="from_output" style="display: none">
    <?php
    include 'display.output.php';
    ?.
    </
    div>
    <
    javascript ...
    displayblock;