SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How much HTML/CSS do your designers write?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • None, designers provide images and developers write the HTML and CSS

5 55.56%
  • Some, developers write most HTML/CSS and designers ocassionaly help

1 11.11%
  • Most, Designers write most HTML/CSS and developers ocasionally help

1 11.11%
  • All, Designer write all markup by providing templates or HTML files to developers

2 22.22%
    SitePoint Enthusiast TheLunchBox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Who writes the CSS

Hey all,

Over on the SitePoint blogs, I recently posted about using template systems in PHP. One of the debates that came up in the comments is who normally writes the markup for a site.

I've posted a poll here so we can get an idea of how the members of this community work.

If you or the designers on your team don't fit into any of these categories, post here and let us know how they work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creating proper, valid and reusable XHTML/CSS isn't easy to do and shouldn't be left to a designer. I would even go so far to call it art, since you need to build it smartly, know all the CSS hacks, and probably even implement Javascript as well. It takes a lot of experience.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on your definition of what a designer is.

In my experience, both hiring employees and contractors alike, I'm increasingly coming across a new breed of designer that I'll call an "Interactive Designer".

The interactive designers that I'm coming across are proficient in creating web layouts and interfaces in Photoshop and converting these for the web - slicing the PSDs, creating the HTML and CSS as well as being able work in Flash with some action scripting.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good poll. As ghuytro said it depends on your definition of a designer. My company are currently looking to hire a designer as in a qualifed graphic designer and they keep getting people apply with no real design qualifications/sense but good html/css skills.

I think html/css are deceptively easy.....very easy to get in over ones head. Having worked in the industry i'd hazard a guess that this poll will come out with developers writing the html/css with designers providing designs and no more.

SitePoint Enthusiast TheLunchBox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I posted this poll is because I've discovered my definition of a web designer is not what most people expect. I do a lot of contracting work with interactive agencies, and so far out of 7 companies I've only run into one designer that doesn't write their own markup and CSS.

Not surprisingly, that was the one designer who tried to insist that all fonts on the site be Futura Std and complained about us "destroying" his images by optimizing them for the web.

The reason I always felt that a web designer should have a slightly different skillset than a print or graphic designer is because there are specific concerns related to web design that aren't present for print. Typography, Usability, Accessibility, and User interaction are all concepts that are completely different between print and web.

Another thing to look at is whether there is cultural difference here. I've noticed that a lot of the developers posting here are from Europe. Also, the one image-only designer I worked with was from London. Could it be a difference in industry expectations in different locations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghuytro View Post

The interactive designers that I'm coming across are proficient in creating web layouts and interfaces in Photoshop and converting these for the web - slicing the PSDs, creating the HTML and CSS as well as being able work in Flash with some action scripting.
    That here is myself, as this is my first job out of college, I am the only one here at my agency doing web, the rest are graphic designers for print. I design, code, and do a little flash work.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    As a freelancer 99% of my work is converting PSD's into css/html from scratch. That's what I do best and that's why they employ me. I prefer to start from scratch with my own code because its quicker and easier.

I don't do any design because I'm not a designer and in fact I don't do anything else apart from css/html these days either.

My clients are various from freelancers to design agencies all over the world. Some know some CSS but cannot do the work as well or as quick as I can so it makes sense for them to contract it out. I supply the template which they can then safely build the site on so my customers do usually know some css/html.

I will point out the failings in the PSD and adjust for accessibility/usability etc. Interpreting a PSD for the web is not just cutting and slicing so a good css knowledge is needed to make a workable layout and not just copy a flat picture.

Some larger agencies who use me do contract out (or have their own teams) that will concentrate on design and programming/scripting etc and at times there will be overlap between sections.

Most times the initial graphic design is done at a design agency that doesn't really know anything about css but obviously know more or less what's expected and how things should work.

Of course my circumstances may be unique and not really representative of any trends

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you hit the nail right on the head as always, Paul.