SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do people get name brand image logos?

I was looking at http://www.sitepoint.com/marketplace/contest/658

And i'm trying to come up with a design myself but I can't help but think about the copyright issues involved in using the name brand logos, ie Tmobile, etc. Is it okay to rip these from any site, or even straight from cingular's site (like the image top left of this http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/welcome/ ). I am going to avoid any legal infractions at all cost.

it seems obvious by the number of ringtone sites out there that there must be a way to legally get such images... how do i go about getting them if that's the case?

thanks.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's illegal to "rip" any copy or design from someone else -- just as illegal as it is to 'borrow' you neighbor's car without his permission. Logo designs are the intellectual property of their respective owners.

Moreover, to even consider selling a ripped design to a client is about as unethical as you can get. If you can't come up with your own ideas, you are no designer. Consider a career change.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so how do these other sites get these logos? thanks.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They hire designers to do them. If they are using trademarked logos from other companies, they are at risk of incurring litigation when and if the other company finds out about it.

As far as cingular's use of the ATT & T logo -- cingular belongs to ATT&T. As far as their use of the Apple and Go logos, it appears that they are partnered with these companies, in which case the logos would most likely be used with permission of their owners.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you. that makes sense.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Occasionally there are times when using a logo of another company is acceptable (with their permission). Adobe, for example, allows people to use images of their product boxes for certain uses (reviews, etc.) and provides them on their site: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...nloadables.jsp

Some companies will provide logos for specific uses on their site. If you want to use a company's logo for something, contact them to inquire about when/if it is okay and under what terms.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you are looking for some logo inspiration? have you try logopond.com