SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Anybody abandoned Rails yet (Framework Cabin Fever)?

Just a quick question...

I have spent a year using RoR for a major intranet project and I really like it.
    But now I find myself yearning for the simplicity of PHP (where what you see is only what you have written) and the cold steel knife of form processing without ORM and patterns and ActiveRecord and Form helpers and components etc etc...

Is this a web developers version of Framework Cabin Fever?

Perhaps a few months debugging PHP global arrays will send me screaming into the soft gentle arms of Ruby...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mangrova View Post
    Just a quick question...

I have spent a year using RoR for a major intranet project and I really like it.
    But now I find myself yearning for the simplicity of PHP (where what you see is only what you have written) and the cold steel knife of form processing without ORM and patterns and ActiveRecord and Form helpers and components etc etc...

Is this a web developers version of Framework Cabin Fever?

Perhaps a few months debugging PHP global arrays will send me screaming into the soft gentle arms of Ruby...
    Hmmm....I am not sure that it can any simpler than RoR, and I for one do not find PHP to be simple at all. But, it all depends on the scenario and the application. Rails will be perfect for some things, where PHP will be better for other things.

I think that it would be in your best interest to know and use both on a regular basis, therefore you have allowed yourself the flexibility of knowing both.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're sick of RoR, just switch to good ol' Ruby... PHP just annoys me nowadays.
    If you give someone a program,
    you will frustrate them for a day;
    if you teach them how to program,
    you will frustrate them for a lifetime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, yes...the sweet smell of PHP without a framework in the morning.

I expect to be back using ruby real soon. As for Rails being simple, hmmm. Not so sure.

Tools for different purposes and situations I suppose. What I was getting at is that sometimes it is nice to start with a blank slate on a website, but only sometimes...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good point mangrova, I see what you are saying.

Sometimes it is good to just start with a clean slate and build only what you need to, without all of the other built-in stuff being there as well. That is where just Ruby or just PHP, without the framework, is going to come in handy.