SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is co-authoring a blog a bad idea?

I have been contemplating starting a blog, and recently I was invited to join forces with a colleague to co-author a blog. Most of the blogs I know are personal, or authored by one person, I can't think of many that are co-authored. Specially since many blogs are tools to promote one self.

On the plus side there will be twice the amount of generated content. On the other hand there could be some problems down the line, for example if one of us decide to go solo who will get to use the previously written content.

Is it a bad idea to share a blog? Or is this common practice?
    "You can just hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around...
    Or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters."
    - Cartman

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a bad idea, actually. Search-This.com does this (there's a good example) and it's working out great so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you mean, in the example you provided the big benefit is having more content.

Would co-authoring a blog require any contractual agreement between the authors? Should this be considered a business? The purpose of the blog is to 1) discuss topics concerning our local web market, 2) self promote. The blog would be basically mine with participation by the other author (the domain is mine and the hosting is on my dedicated).
    - Cartman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, with Search-This, Golgotha just asked people if they wanted to contribute. It's an all-volunteer project, with him assuming the costs. So in that case, a contract isn't required, since the writers are not being compensated, other than with free publicity for the articles they publish every week or so.

But if there's going to be any material compensation, then a contract would be preferable. Especially if rights to reproduce the content elsewhere may become an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Search-This was created to provide webmasters with information on all aspects of the web, including: design, development and promotion. When you visit Search-This we hope that you find valuable information you can use to make your website better."

That's a big mission statement! Not something for one person to take on alone. So in order to provide sufficient advice in those areas a team (a great team) needed to be formed. Thus the team.

In addition, I wanted to form closer relationships with a select few people in the industry. I am a firm believer in community and the benefits that living within a community provides. "The strength of the wolf is the pack, the strength of the pack is the wolf" - that sort of thing.

Not all blogs need a team, I also have a personal blog that doesn't require a team. It all depends on the mission of the blog...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a co authored blog and it was exactly the same situation as you have defined. I decided to start a blog and then asked my friends to join in. It is progressing fast as of now, and we just started making money, so i think now we will have to look at who is the owner kind of a thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am guessing that my best plan would be to define the blog as my venture and then invite others to contribute, thus establishing the ownership of the project ahead of time. I do not want to place any adds or generate any direct income from the blog so we won't have any troubles with money issues.
    - Cartman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that being honest with people before things got going makes a big difference. Just be upfront with people when they sign up:

"I'm not making direct profit"
    "I can't pay you for your contributions"
    "We'll share copyright"
    etc

If you e-mail people with the facts before they start writing for you then they surely can't have too many complaints.

Cheers,
    Cheers,
    Ian.

7879 | Web Marketing Lichfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That works too. Regardless of what you're doing in life.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dev I would still lay out some terms before you get started. If the other guy puts in just as much time and effort as you he should get 50%. You say you do not plan on using ads but what if that day comes? What if someone makes an offer to buy the site out? Would the other writer deserve nothing? Just some stuff to think about.

SitePoint Zealot OrangeCreative's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Co-authoring is a good idea but it's a bit like sharing a flat. You first have a look at your mate. You are not going to live together but you will share a small space.

How about, everybody keeps the copyright on his own work. You own the domain and get the rights granted for the publishing. I agree with the fore speaker, you should lay out something informal, at least, before starting.

If one day you will start generating income out of this you might subtract the hosting costs (+ x&#37 and divide the rest by the ratio of the posts.

I agree, this is a bit too simplistic but still...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think co-authoring is a good idea if you don't want to go at it alone. Consider setting up a partnership with your friend so you have everything in writing and you have defined roles established.
    Last edited by ses5909; Apr 17, 2007 at 03:04. Reason: removed link