User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help troubleshooting a minor HTML issue

Hello everyone,

I've just started putting together a site and I've run into a small display issue where I can't get the border lines to line up with the header graphic in both IE and FF. If I line it up in one browser, it's off in the other, and vice vera. Anyways, here's the link so you can see what I'm talking about...

http://guide-to-outsourcing.com/index_perm.html

Would anyone be so kind as to have a look at the page source and see if you could figure out why it displays correctly in one browser and not the other? Hopefully it's something simple.

BTW- I'm using a WYSIWYG HTML editor to create this as I don't know much HTML.

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I just had this same problem but in reverse. Mine was displaying fine in IE but overlapping in FF. Try playing with the width of the header first by reducing it by a few pixels or tighten up your borders which are off by three pixels I noticed. Dont know if this will help but I managed to fix mine by doing this.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a search for CSS box model

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew is correct. IE is in quirks mode and uses its broken box model and incorrectly places margins and padding. You will never get IE to try and pretend it's a modern browser without a proper doctype. See my link below. Use html4.01 strict.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I'll look into the CSS option.