SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast bilbo--baggins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page no longer XHTML stict after adding PayPal buttons

I had just put images where the paypal buttons will be going, and today I've started pasting the html into place for the actual functional buttons.

Although they seem to work ok (needed some tweaks to overcome a problem in Firefox 2, and to stop paypal opening an new window) when I do the W3C XHTML validation checker I get LOTS and LOTS of errors.

I admit there is one niggling error that already existing where I had used an ID twice instead of making it a class (on my to do list) but that's a simple matter to rectify.

One particular problem I don't know what to do about is where I've got the link to View the PayPal basket. This link caused me problems because I didn't want a graphical button (which the PayPal produced HTML requires) and after quite a bit of searching the internet and trial and error I finally came up with the solution below which works. It takes people to the basket, and most importantly it includes a 'continue shopping' button that takes you back to the required page. However, the W3C checker absolutely hates this and I really don't know what to do about it. Through my ignorance, I really want the page to be XHTML Stict (and often people tell me I should change it to XHTML transitional) but even though I don't know why it feels like I'm doing the 'right thing' by trying to make it strict!

OH well, enough rambling. If anyone can give me some pointers as to how I can sort out these problems I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

Here is the link and the html I mentioned above:

http://www.zen27079.zen.co.uk/friend...ottontots.html

<li class="blue"><a href="https://www.paypal.com/cart/business=payments@friendlybaby.co.uk&display=1&shopping_url=http://www.zen27079.zen.co.uk/friendlybaby/index.html">View Basket</a></li>
    Last edited by bilbo--baggins; Apr 6, 2007 at 12:35. Reason: added link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been through and looked up what all the errors meant (>72 of them) and have finally eliminated them all, AND the page still works!.

Just thought I should mention this before anyone wastes time trying to go through all the errors (which hopefully don't exist any more!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, does anyone know why the buttons wiggle about when the page is refreshed in Firefox 2?