User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Anyone heard of Web Catalog

Hey Everybody.
    Has anyone heard of or used Web Catalog and WebDNA for there site. My company uses it for there database. I was wondering how strong it is and what its capabilities are. I want to create a database for my companies magazine articles. There are about 30 articles in each magazine and 3 magazines so it would be a lot of content. Do you recommend changing to something more stable? Coldfusion, mySQL?

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of them before, but a quick search on Google turned up these relevant links:

http://www.burtons.com/webdna/
    http://www.eos.net/eos/hosting/cgi/w...log/webdna.htm
    http://store.smithmicro.com/buy/prod...datarq=WINDOWS

In all honesty, I would have thought that moving to a better known server-side scripting such as ASP (or PHP) would reap dividends in terms of getting help & support, and developing your skills set, not to mention being cheaper to host and maintain code. ASP/PHP is big business, WebCatalog/WebDNA clearly is not!

Scalability concerns are well addressed with ASP (and probably PHP - I don't know), whereas I'd be very surprised if much research had been done into WebDNA.

I recommend creating this new project in ASP from the ground up, using an SQL Server backend if scalability is at all likely to be an issue. How many simultaneous users are you talking about?

M@rco

PS - I'm biased, but avoid ColdFusion like the plague!!!

I have an opinion...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommmend PHP with a MySQL database. It will be lighter weight as compared to ASP with an MS SQL database. PHP/MySQL is also LOADS cheaper to host. I RTFMed on WebCatalog, and I could probabably write a comparable system in a couple of days in PHP/MySQL, and a few days with ASP/MS SQL. I am sure most anyone with a decent amount of experience could do it in a week. WebCatalog doesn't seem to have much, if any, real support for XML technologies either - something that would totally kill it as a solution for me, personally.

I am with M@rco about CF...

<vomit>Cold Fusion</vomit>
    Egotist: A person more interested in himself than in me.
    KodeKrash - Eidix - Barrie LUG

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol!

M@rco