SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely, not only the "pimped out" blogs succeed..

The purpose of this thread is to look at and perhaps challenge the notions of what makes a successful blog. Does it mean that if you choose to have a blog that relies purely on the merits of it's content, without all the site maps and slaps, links, trackbacks, humpbacks, pings and wings...(you know what I mean ) that your blog will be forever relegated into obscurity and deemed "unsuccessful" as opposed to the only real way to make your blog a raging success is to do this, this and this... (think a 'recipe').

I have just started my foray into blogging and have surprisingly really enjoyed it (worried I may be getting hooked ), but am becoming increasingly concerned with the fact that I personally prefer blogs to be more spartan (less is more) and devoid of the flashy plug-ins and bells and whistles like many of the blogs ranked in the top 100 or those often referred to as successful blogs. Yes, my blog is a business one and offers expert advice in an area which I am regarded, but I am feeling a tad inadequate (in a size does matter kind of way) in comparison to other bloggers who really "pimp out" their blogs.

I definitely wish to continue to publish online content and serve a purpose, but I much prefer not having my blog wolf whistle at every visitor, but have people come and ultimately return to my blog because it meets a need, is easy on the eye and is built on great content.

Can such a blog ever be successful?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a little food for thought. This article addresses a similiar sentiment, albeit about columns. http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2007/04...-many-columns/

What say ye?

SitePoint Enthusiast michaelper22's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I coincidentally commented over by Lorelle today.)

My blog gets attention from content. If it didn't have the vast range of topics that I feature, Google wouldn't want to go near me. Sure a nice design will help you out (maybe help retain readers), but the "Content is King" rule is the first rule you should keep in mind. Media content theoretically is content, but it isn't nearly as valuable as text IMO.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Content is King.

I just wonder if there is some sort of blog psychology or something that says bells and whistles capture readers...I'd hate to be blogging away just so that I have the experience.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content IS king, especially for SEO.

However, design/layout and the "pimp" factor, if I can call it that, is something that I have learned does indeed matter when it comes to blogging. Of course, the design has to be one that is eye-catching and classy without diminishing the usability or readability.

I know of one blog which shall remain anonymous, that has always had amazing design and that has been featured in many design sites. However, the 'writer' only writes a small post once a month at the most!

To sum up: content is king but design, especially if you are writing for younger generations, does matter.