SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uploaded WP with DW and now my website's page addresses are weird?

What on earth have I done?

For example: http:www.mysite.com/contact_us/

now reads: http://www.mysite.com/contact_us/contact_us/

I'm not sure if I should have posted this in the webdesign section or here as this occured only after I uploaded WP using Dreamweaver. (yes, I had intended to use WP on my host's server. I am freaking out as I can't see how to rectify this as the actual website's files appear normal, in both local and remote view. *cry* Also, when I navigate through the site, the links still work, but they read as I have shown above. Oddly enough, the index page doesn't have this double up, but just the other pages. HELP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check for a rewrite rule in .htaccess - that's most probably the culprit.
    mcahill
    Reel-Time.com - Saltwater Fly Fishing
    The Vario Blog
    VarioCreative.com 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcahill View Post
    Check for a rewrite rule in .htaccess - that's most probably the culprit.
    Thank you so much for the lead. I don't exactly no where to look for this. I can't see anything in DW Site Definitions that would indicate where to go to rectify and I have had a look at the remote files with a ftp client (Cyberduck) and can't see anything there. Admittedly, I am seriously floundering with this issue. Not a file to be found with the extension .htacess. Does it have any other guises?

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

In the root of you WP install on the server there will be a file named .htaccess (it might be hidden) if you use FileZilla you can go to view>show hidden files to see this file.

The file will have no name just the .extension.

You can also access this file from with the WP control panel. Go to options>permalinks and then you can choose a link structure and update it from there.

If the file is writable by the server it will update all by itself. If not it will give you the code needed for this file. You can copy and paste this code into a new text doc, save it as .htaccess and upload that to the root of your WP install.

I cannot guarantee this is the issue but I would assume it is. Most URL issues I have encountered with WP are related to the rewrite rules.

Hope it helps.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello right back.

I deleted all of the WP files that I uploaded (well that I could see) from both my server and my hard drive. I then used Cyberduck to view invisible files (just selected it) and nothing altered in the window. I don't know if it's a case that I need to action something other than just selecting (putting a tick) in the view hidden files menu or not. Admittedly, I was looking for anything with either .htaccess or .php. I really do suspect that it is a rewrite issue. Now, I have succumbed to paying a fee for my host provider to instal WP for me. Oh well. They will install it independantly of my site (unlike stupid me)

Then, after the correct WP installation, I will be able to access the WP control panel as you suggested and remove anything from there, quite possibly?

I feel so sick about this. Is there any reading info you can point me towards regarding your past experiences that you mentioned that resemble this one? I would be much obliged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    Hello

In the root of you WP install on the server there will be a file named .htaccess (it might be hidden) if you use FileZilla you can go to view>show hidden files to see this file.

The file will have no name just the .extension.

You can also access this file from with the WP control panel. Go to options>permalinks and then you can choose a link structure and update it from there.

If the file is writable by the server it will update all by itself. If not it will give you the code needed for this file. You can copy and paste this code into a new text doc, save it as .htaccess and upload that to the root of your WP install.

I cannot guarantee this is the issue but I would assume it is. Most URL issues I have encountered with WP are related to the rewrite rules.

Hope it helps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

If it not too late stop them from doing it and I will install WP for you for free, it should only take a few minutes. I will need server/ftp access. I can be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Violetgems View Post
    Hello right back.

I deleted all of the WP files that I uploaded (well that I could see) from both my server and my hard drive. I then used Cyberduck to view invisible files (just selected it) and nothing altered in the window. I don't know if it's a case that I need to action something other than just selecting (putting a tick) in the view hidden files menu or not. Admittedly, I was looking for anything with either .htaccess or .php. I really do suspect that it is a rewrite issue. Now, I have succumbed to paying a fee for my host provider to instal WP for me. Oh well. They will install it independantly of my site (unlike stupid me)

Then, after the correct WP installation, I will be able to access the WP control panel as you suggested and remove anything from there, quite possibly?

I feel so sick about this. Is there any reading info you can point me towards regarding your past experiences that you mentioned that resemble this one? I would be much obliged.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

If it not too late stop them from doing it and I will install WP for you for free, it should only take a few minutes. I will need server/ftp access. I can be trusted.
    He says with an evil twinkle in the eye

Jen, this is the best offer you will get I think !

Remember though, always keep a backup of all your original files. I still don't see how your backup files (on your computer) have the same naming convention if you didn't run WP on your own local server .... sounds weird to me.... but then again, what do I know, I'm no WP expert.

Good luck and I hope Ben can sort you out.

Nadia

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I can't even get arrested.

I just rang to stop the install of WP and the have done it. Arg! Anything else and I'm sure it would still be in the To Do (or is that do do?) pile.

Thank you all the same. I guess the thing to do now is, if I can see what the WP Admin thing says. *fingers crossed*

My host says that they can recall the backed up copy of my site, but at a handsome price. What's this world coming to? And they wouldn't even think of having it done (even at their premium price) until a week from now at the earliest.

So what's next? All good luck vibes and spells of divine clarity and inspiration welcome. ( actually, even a pat on the head will do.)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have had a look at my address bar/URL anomaly ad neauseum and am still no further ahead.(but much grayer) I have gone as far as having an "expert" have a look and he suggested that is was only an issue of aestethics. *bangshead* How can that be right? So for the moment, I have decided to just walk away. Yep. I can't handle the heat. I would optimally love for my url to display "normally" but can't see how to do it. So last begging and pleading is on this instance then I'm gonnna just have a break. So if anything comes to mind, please let me know.

Now on to sorting out Wordpress.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still willing to install WP and get it going for you. Though it will have to wait until tomorrow as I am off to bed.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still willing to install WP and get it going for you. Though it will have to wait until tomorrow as I am off to bed.
    Why thank you galant one. It is installed, but really functioning below my expectations. As posted in this thread:http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470769 is my Dashboard meant to be so sparse? I need it pimped out a bit more. When you're back, could you please enlighten?

Thanks!