Here's what I want to do:
Turn this frame-based layout into a single HTML page.

Here's what I have done:
  • Produced this page which captures the basic layout in HTML using DIVs and CSS. It works in Mozilla 0.9.7.
  • Produced this page which captures the basic layout in HTML using tables and DIVs and CSS. It works in Internet Explorer 6.

The first page uses the standards-complaint approach - the way things are "supposed" to work. However, Internet Explorer/Win doesn't support the position:fixed attribute of CSS, so that design can't work (if you know of a way of getting the first design to work in IE without having to use javascript, please let me know - I'd prefer to just be able to use DIVs).

Because I couldn't get the first design to work in IE, I created the second table-based design. However, I can't get it to work in Netscape.

Here's the exact problem that I'm having:
In this file http://radio.weblogs.com/0100725/gem...d%20Tables.htm the <div> with id="mainContent" has the following CSS attributes (inline): style="background:green;width:100%;height:100%;overflow:auto;"

With those style properties, the <div> doesn't display at all in Mozilla! If I remove the width:100%;height:100%;overflow:auto; then the <div> (and it's contents) are visible.

This is the desired behaviour:
The "mainContent" section of the page would render exactly the same in Netscape as it does in Internet Explorer.

Note:
Opera doesn't work properly with either layout, and because so few people use that browser, I'm just going to ignore it.

If you have any questions, please email me or ICQ me: 67112112. Any help is very much apprecaited!