User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to bypass popup blockers ?

Some of us display important content in popups..but all the popup-killers makes regular javascript popups useless...

Are there any workarounds ?

Like to link to the popup with a regular link to a new window which has a js that makes that window resize, position and remove un-neccesary browser toolbars ?

Any enlightment would be very appreciated

John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your link is activated onclick or via some other user-initiated action, it should not be blocked by a popup blocker.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really ? I was under the impression that it killed some of the user initiated poups too, cause I see many sites who ask people to turn off popupkillers.

If the poup is initiated from java aplett, quicktime or flash is it then concidered user initiated ?

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are workarounds - like the code Sitepoint uses to popup its subscribe box.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thx Dave, gotta check it out....I`m newbee here...where may i find the subscribe feature / code ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMichaels
    There are workarounds - like the code Sitepoint uses to popup its subscribe box.
    For me the SP pop-ups get blocked! IE blocks it and if they don't get it my Google toolbar does! I don't think I have seen one pop-up since the new service pack in Win XP!! I am VERY happy about that!
    Maarten

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of us display important content in popups...
    Users disagree with you on that. Users do not want any popups, so maybe you should try to accomodate them to get better results. I use FF1.0 and I rarely get any popups, and I couldn't be happier. I don't care if your site wants to show me a map to a sunken Gallion with 10,000 gold coins in its cargo hold--if it's in a popup, I don't want to see it.

As an alternative, you could use popup divs: toggle between display:none and display: absolute. I'll gladly take a look at your treasure map then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7stud
    Users disagree with you on that. Users do not want any popups, so maybe you should try to accomodate them to get better results. I use FF1.0 and I rarely get any popups, and I couldn't be happier. I don't care if your site wants to show me a map to a sunken Gallion with 10,000 gold coins in its cargo hold--if it's in a popup, I don't want to see it.

As an alternative, you could use popup divs: toggle between display:none and display: absolute. I'll gladly take a look at your treasure map then.
    So users want popup divs?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote:
    Some of us display important content in popups...

I make 360 virtual tours, and with nav, maps, text-content and a decent sized windows and both qtvr and java solution, theres not room to put it in the webpage itself. Must be a "inline" frame possibly. Popups are good when used correctly...just wanna make sure I present them without quirks and problems for my audience...

Another point is that the tours must be easy to implement for a sites webmasters...and then a popup served from my server is the best solution...

John

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We may discuss pros and cons of popups but I`m wondering if there are safe solutions to make popups which are "wanted" display proper, whatever popupkiller the browser may have... ??

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    If your link is activated onclick or via some other user-initiated action, it should not be blocked by a popup blocker.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahem ?

I read "should" as not supposed to, not like "will not"....with a zillion different popup killers and people reporting that even regular links in new window being stopped , and it "should" not happen, so it may be reason to ask after all...or ??

these problems are reported in some of the other threads in "Similar Threads"...

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojn M
    Some of us display important content in popups..but all the popup-killers makes regular javascript popups useless...

Are there any workarounds ?

Like to link to the popup with a regular link to a new window which has a js that makes that window resize, position and remove un-neccesary browser toolbars ?

Any enlightment would be very appreciated

John
    here ya go

http://phpbuddy.com/article.php?id=20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I have popups completely disabled, why would you want to force one on me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides, you can't force one on me, because I use Opera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFoster
    Conversely, why would you force yourself on a site that uses popups to get revenue to pay for hosting, design, maintenance, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use them as you normally would. EVERY decent popup blocker has the option to add a site to a trusted list. If you're popup is needed, inform the user that popups are a crucial part of the site & if your site is trust worthy then you have no problems.

Also keep in mind, browsers like Firefox make it easy to disable resizing, turning off scrollbars, toolbars, address bars, status bars, ect.. so don't depend on being able to disable thoose things when designing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wont force anything on anybody, just wanna make the online experience as hassle free and usable as possible for anybodu who wants to see my content, regardless of their knowledge in configureing of their popupkillers...

AND I wanna be able to answer a potential clients webdesigners questions regarding the popupkillers issue: Will everybody be able to see this content you wanna sell us ???

John

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    computerages: thx for link

Mike Foster: would it be possible to serve content of your dhtml popups ? ( checked your excellent site )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Conversely, why would you force yourself on a site that uses popups to get revenue to pay for hosting, design, maintenance, etc.
    Off Topic:

Why wouldn't a webmaster find a better revenue source?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you could make it so that visitors to your site don't get all the content unless they accept the popup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojn M
    would it be possible to serve content of your dhtml popups ?
    Oops, I'm busted! Yes, I've written a dhtml popup object.
    It's an iframe wrapped in a div - a simple idea really. Yes, you can serve content in it. But that object may not be exactly what you need, altho you could make use of the "iframe wrapped in a div" concept. Be aware that many browsers give the user control over iframes as well. So... I don't know if it would be worth the effort.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be noted again that 'Jojn M' is not talking about advertising

DaveMichaels, I'm just havin a little fun with ya. I have advertising on my site too, so I do understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Why wouldn't a webmaster find a better revenue source?
    Such as?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Such as?
    Selling your own products, or at the very least, less obtrusive and annoying advertising.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Selling your own products, or at the very least, less obtrusive and annoying advertising.
    That equals the roughly $4 cpm of popups/unders?