User Tag List

View Poll Results: What DTD do you use?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • HTML (no DTD)

6 3.30%
  • HTML 4.01 Strict

38 20.88%
  • HTML 4.01 Transitional (this includes all subtypes)

12 6.59%
  • XHTML 1.0 Strict

80 43.96%
  • XHTML 1.0 Transitional

46 25.27%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Afraid I can't do that Dave Hal9k's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo
    Making an XHTML version and an HTML version of every page is just too much work for most sites. The maintenance becomes a nightmare, unless you have a server-side system with XML storage and an XSLT transform, of course.
    I've been experimenting with XSLT and XML (though not storage, just generating from a database) and I wholeheartedly recommend it. PHP 5 < XSLT support is pretty good and you can switch between XML (xHTML) / HTML output at the drop of a switch (or more correctly method="html/xml").

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    And how do you do that, considering that Internet Explorer doesn't support XHTML in any way, shape or form? Are you advocating mirror pages in HTML that you serve to IE and other non-XHTML browsers?
    He didn't say he used XHTML! He said he used the XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD! That's the difference!

And by the way, according to w3c, the 1.0 version of xhtml is very much allowed to be served as text/html.

XHTML advocates clear separation of concerns and IDEs set to XHTML strict will mark HTML 4.01 attributes such as "width" on table, and say that it's better to use CSS for that. Just to take one example.

So to be serious, don't fall for everything your read at the web, and especially not everything you read at sites like mezzo or stop or 456 etc etc, because they're not always right. In my experience they know what they do well, but not much of other disciplines which would be a point of reference for them.

Also, if you constantly make a fuss about IE, nothing will change in the long run, as someone pointed out, so why make a fuss about IE not understanding the XML-tag on top of the document if the page is served application/xhtml+xml? The answer is simple: you don't make a fuss about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to know how often these w3 threads come up, it seems one comes up every month or so.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by echoSwe View Post
    He didn't say he used XHTML! He said he used the XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD! That's the difference!
    And what, pray tell, is the great benefit of using one markup language and pretend it is another?

And by the way, according to w3c, the 1.0 version of xhtml is very much allowed to be served as text/html.
    That is a non-normative note, which carries no more weight than if you or I say something on this forum, really.

Yes, XHTML 1.0 was designed so that it can be served as HTML, provided you comply with all of Appendix C of the specification. But that will cause it to be parsed and interpreted as HTML, so you'll lose any benefit of XHTML. Thus you might just as well continue to use HTML 4.01. It's more honest, too.

XHTML advocates clear separation of concerns and IDEs set to XHTML strict will mark HTML 4.01 attributes such as "width" on table, and say that it's better to use CSS for that. Just to take one example.
    That has nothing to do with XHTML vs HTML and everything to do with Strict vs Transitional.

why make a fuss about IE not understanding the XML-tag on top of the document if the page is served application/xhtml+xml?
    Er ... IE won't understand anything if the document is served as application/xhtml+xml.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been out of town. Just want to ditto everything Tommy is saying.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually 'XHTML Basic 1.0' DTD when given the half the chance.

As for standards "importance" if everyone is following the same unified 'recommended' protocols correctly then interoperability is increased. As for Strict versus Transitional excluding browser rendering engine mode triggering Transitional is fine it is more of a case of what attributes and elements you choose, i.e. the author.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all use a standard to some degree since most of the HTML tags that we use everyday are standard. We should try to code to standard whenever possible for the simple reason that you remove he possibility of different browser interpreting the code differently.

I've also found that when the site uses standards it at least makes the site look ok in special browser such a cell phones and PDA and should also provide a bit a future proof for the coming years.
    Hexagone3 Internet - Marketing - Advertising
    En affaires CoachingMusique
    Domiciliation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I code semantic, strict and valid XHTML and (lo and behold) serve it with a topping of correct MIME-type (for those that handle it obviously).

I don't necessarily consider myself some sort of holy coder on a standards crusade, but I try to keep the irregular visitor in mind. The one that do need it. It brings me satisfication like a cold beer on a hot summers eve.