SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Special Features" gallery for online newspaper

Here is the site I am working on http://www.uvsj.com/test.
    Here's the problem I am running into. Our online paper hosts from a place that uses a proprietary platform ro update content. While this is a nice set up it also has it's drawbacks. Features that would be easily (and nicely) done in Flash must be done using XHTML, CSS, and Javacript in order to utilize their updating feature. They use "tokens" which are, from my understanding, basically placeholders so when our photographers or columnists post images or articles they just select where in the paper it would feature and then upload it and our host then renames it and assigns it to whichever the appropriate "token" is.
    We are undergoing a redesign of the site (for obvious reasons) and my boss wants a gallery that shows our featured articles or videos. I worked a simple solution up and he likes the way it works, but I am not pleased with it. I think the code is sloppy and I am especially bothered by the fact that I would have to manually change the captions everyday in the javascript. My friend suggested creating seperate divs for each of the big images and then set them on top of one another and make them transparent except whichever was the initial image. Then use javascript to set it so when they mouseover the thumbnail image it would switch between the large image divs making whichever was selected the non-transparent one.
    This sounds like a good idea, but my javascript skills are weak at best. If anyone has any suggestions or simple solutions for this problem that would be great! Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, one of the solutions would be to improve your JavaScript skills. Especially if you work as a web developer for a commercial company.

I recommend you "JavaScript Bible", its a great book for learning with lots of examples. If you don't feel like learning, then you could always google for "image gallery javascript".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I agree that my skillset is inadequate, but (believe or not) I was the most qualified for the job...it's a little Idaho town. I've ordered the O'Reilly "Learning Javascript" and Pollock's Javascript book as well. I am just waiting for them to come in.
    I tried to Google javascipt image galleries, but the one failing in all of them is the captions feature. They are almost always intended for websites that are going to post and keep the same images and captions in that gallery. Since ours will change daily those scripts are not quite enough.
    Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    Last edited by porpitude; Mar 30, 2007 at 11:13. Reason: typos