User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Evangelist adesignrsa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats the Best CSS Book?

My brother is trying to learn CSS and asked me what the best book is on the language?

I have obviously looked through the sitepoint books, and I even have one on CSS (Dan Shafer's HTML Utopia), but my brother is on the other side of the planet from me, so he needs to buy one.

I'm asking people not to be biased and give their honest opinion on the best book for a beginner. We all love sitepoint, but if you feel that another book is better/easier to learn from, please do tell.

~R
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found CSS Mastery by Andy Budd to be very good - got it as an Xmas pressie and have enjoyed it. Not a total beginner's book though, but almost any beginner's book would do if he immediately moved on to this one afterwards.

Perhaps coupled with the sitepoint Build your web site the right way using html & CSS as the beginner's book.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends, really. For me, it took a combination of CSS: The Definitive Guide (2nd Edition) by Eric Meyer, CSS Cookbook by Christopher Schmitt and HTML for the World Wide Web, Visual Quickstart Guide, 5th Edition, including XHTML and CSS by Elizabeth Castro (since updated). Designing with Web Standards by Jeffrey Zeldman (now in its second edition) helped immensely as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    HTML for the World Wide Web, Visual Quickstart Guide, 5th Edition, including XHTML and CSS by Elizabeth Castro (since updated).
    this is a great book for a beginner regarding css. but the latest update of the book (6th Edition) is even better. she uses css examples for styling the elements that she's teaching about all throughout the book , and she explains the use of the css. theirs also a new chapter (I believe it's new) for styling handheld devices.

and i found the eric meyer's "eric meyer's on css books" to be very helpful as well. although thier not beginner books per se.

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three books and they are very helpful.

Bulletproof web design by Dan Cederholm, CSS Mastery by Andy Budd, and Beginning CSS by Simon Collison.
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eric mayers book, as reccomended by dan and Bulletproof web design by dan cederholm is a great book on css. Eric Meyers is better for an all over reference but dans books got some real gems in it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the 6th Edition is a disaster as far as CSS is concerned. Many of the "best practices" she advocates have been known to cause accessibility and usability problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Actually the 6th Edition is a disaster as far as CSS is concerned. Many of the "best practices" she advocates have been known to cause accessibility and usability problems.
    wow dan, i did not know that....very interesting. i know that the image replacement for headers that she talks about is a problem for accessibility-usability. can you enlighten me on some of the other problems with these so called "best practices" she advocates. i'd be interested to know.

what do you think of the book "Stylin with CSS" by charles wyke-smith.
    by the way, cool article on opera, i love that browser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find The CSS Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks by Rachel Andrew a good book to answer specific problems when learning. It really a book for answer questions in the style of...How do I do this? or How do I fix this problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logothon View Post
    wow dan, i did not know that....very interesting. i know that the image replacement for headers that she talks about is a problem for accessibility-usability. can you enlighten me on some of the other problems with these so called "best practices" she advocates. i'd be interested to know.

what do you think of the book "Stylin with CSS" by charles wyke-smith.
    by the way, cool article on opera, i love that browser
    I'd have to check the books out from my local library again, but I can tell you more when I get them in.