SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARGH! Another validation issue!

This is really pushing my patience over the edge. Another page I'm working on keeps on giving this error and I can't for the life of me figure it out:

line 2 - Error: character "<" invalid: only delimiter ">", delimiter "[", system identifier, "CDATA", "NDATA", "SDATA" and parameter separators allowed

Now the line is question consists ONLY of this .... "<html>" (minus the quotes, of course)

That's it - that's all that's on that line! I've tried it with doctypes "loose", "transitional", and "strict" and it only appears in loose. But with the others even more obtuse errors are showing up.

Can anyone try to explain this to me, please, before I dump this page entirely?
    Bruce ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not quite sure why that's happening, though it might help if you post your code. (Or at least the top portion, surrounding the error)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you please paste the code or the url of the page you are trying to validate?

Problems are fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nfd2005 View Post
    Could you please paste the code or the url of the page you are trying to validate?

Problems are fun.
    Maybe for you - not for me! I'm going nuts with this one.
    http://sunrisersalumni.org/resources_test.htm
    That is the version I'm in the process of converting. The original page is the same url minus the _test part

Using the w3c validator plugin for Firefox2, I get 2 errors. The first is what I have shown above, and the second says it cannot process further because of the first. Huh?
    Bruce ...

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're missing the '>' at the end of your DOCTYPE declaration (first line).
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    You're missing the '>' at the end of your DOCTYPE declaration (first line).
    Oh for....
    I really need to get more rest and lay off this a while if I missed that

Fixed that, and immediately opened a new set of errors - mostly concerning table tags like TR and TD's. Why, I don't know - it is the same basically as my other table page that validated just fine.

I have a feeling I'm just going to leave the damned thing as it is and move on.
    Bruce ...

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't have an H2 as a child of a TABLE. The H2 must reside inside a TD or TH, which must be in a TR (which should – but doesn't have to – be inside a THEAD or TBODY). There's also a paragraph as an immediate child of the TABLE.

You're also using presentational attributes (align) and tags (<center>), which aren't compatible with a Strict DTD. Either use CSS to control presentation – even if you use a layout table for the page container – or declare a Transitional DTD.

Then you have TD elements that aren't enclosed in a TR. In fact, there's no TR in the whole table.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    You can't have an H2 as a child of a TABLE. The H2 must reside inside a TD or TH, which must be in a TR (which should – but doesn't have to – be inside a THEAD or TBODY). There's also a paragraph as an immediate child of the TABLE.

You're also using presentational attributes (align) and tags (<center>), which aren't compatible with a Strict DTD. Either use CSS to control presentation – even if you use a layout table for the page container – or declare a Transitional DTD.

Then you have TD elements that aren't enclosed in a TR. In fact, there's no TR in the whole table.
    Thanks, Tom - this had me scratching my head trying to figure out how those h2's got where they were. But I got it sorted out, things moved around, and the page validated

Appreciate everyones help!
    Bruce ...