SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently got a job doing front-end designs for a firm using GoLive on their Macs. I'm used to Dreamweaver on a PC. Although I am experiencing the anticipated troubles adjusting to the new OS and editor, I also feel that GoLive has drawbacks that DW does not, (eg: re-writing/ignoring code that I tweaked in the editor, javascript dysfunctions, etc.). I would like to write a proposal to the firm to purchase DW or DW InterDev, (since the back-ends are done with ASP or ColdFusion), but I don't want to jump the gun in case my problems are simply those of an inexperienced GoLive user. I'd like to hear from others who've used both, to help me draw my conclusions.
    The firm also uses Fireworks, Flash, Adobe PS 5.5, and Illustrator for the front-end design.
    Thanks all for the input.

------------------
    Marty P
    marty@tinytin.com
    http://tinytin.com

"Speak as though I know nothing but am capable of understanding everything."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering they use fireworks and flash, it seem apporiate to use dreamweaver. I love dreamweaver and would recommend it highly. I saw a copy of my uncles go live and it sorta came off unprofssional to me. I think that if you can produce better with dreamweaver then you should tell them that.

------------------
    Nate
    nate@jumpthru.com
    ICQ 70944023
    http://www.jumpthru.com - Unbelievable Website design!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too think that Dreamweaver provides a better workspace... but it's all preference. There are some little annoying things about DW on a Mac that you should know...e.g., pg up/dn keys don't work in the site files window, the site files are organized only by name, instead of folders being on top, etc...

And DW ULTRAdev isn't a good solution for you if you're planning to use it on a MAC. It's locked up my G4 almost everytime. And you can't connect using ODBC on a Mac anyway so it's not going to help you out too much unless you're willing to write the script on a Mac, then take the file to a PC, test, etc... You might use UltraDev with PWS on a PC and let the Mac strictly remain your "creative machine"

------------------
    Dave Han - webmaster@goboatingamerica.com
    - Oh we just so love coding...
    Go Boating America.com - Official Home of Sea and Go Boating Magazines.
    Everything related to boating...and then some. Visit goboatingamerica.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i want to thank you two for posting your opinions/experiences. for any others,.. if you read the original thread, you'll see that this is important to me.
    *i would like to ask permission from all that reply to this post to be be able to re-print you responses.* if you do not want me to do this, please mail me at the address given. thanx again.

------------------
    Marty P
    marty@tinytin.com
    http://tinytin.com

"Speak as though I know nothing but am capable of understanding everything."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've found that i prefer DW for almost all design work due to it's accurate editor-mode display, large control over preferances, and editability (sp?) in HTML view. the one thing i like better about golive is that you can check a whole site for broken links etc. as long as that site is within one folder, even if it wasn't done with golive. i haven't found this ability with DW, but i might be wrong.

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I have enjoyed using DreamWeaver finding that it takes care of a lot of the small details that other programs do not.

Of course the preference of these programs is up to the designer, but it would make sense to me if you also use Fireworks, Flash, etc. to tie those in with DreamWeaver.

Good Luck!!

------------------
    Jason Therrien www.SmartWebBusiness.com
    A small business resource for news and answers to your Internet queries.

[This message has been edited by Jason_Therrien (edited August 01, 2000).]