SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How long do you do website?

For personal sites, how long does it take to get it all working? or how about sites like SitePoint? or Yahoo!? or Amazon.com? or how about a small business website?

How long being the design, the researching, content, scripting, marketing, etc.
    The Star Circle Quest Community - Community website for SCQ fans.
    Telebisyon.net - Reference guide to TV series shown in the Philippines.
    Lyrics Server Online! - All the lyrics you can get on one website.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on how big the site is, how you're implementing the site (is it powered by an elaborate CMS? Static? If CMS, is the CMS already made? Design from scratch)

I've done sites in as little as 3 days, including a regular job. I'm working on one now that will likely last a couple months.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

What is a CMS?
    The Star Circle Quest Community - Community website for SCQ fans.
    Telebisyon.net - Reference guide to TV series shown in the Philippines.
    Lyrics Server Online! - All the lyrics you can get on one website.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content Management Service. It's the database and interactions all wrapped up in one that allows the Content of the site be separate from the design of the site. Hypothetically, you can have a designer who knows no HTML and a programmer who has no tolerance for design issues work on the same team and not kill each other. Just one example. Examples of a bigname CMS are phpNuke, and soon to come Aroze. Many people develop their own CMS systems.

Hope this helps.

FYI, do a search here in the forums for Content Management and read up on it.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it also depends on individual(s) working on that website plus of course sketch's words...it depends on the website's specs and reqs!

For a simple HTML site it usually takes me 2 days...1.5 day for data and content entry
    Glad to be BACK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... If I have all of the content pre-prepared, from creating graphics to coding it usually takes me a few hours of solid work (for an average size site, that is, like 10 pages and full graphics).

Occasionally I let the site 'ferment' over night... sometimes i think of somthing in the morning

SitePoint Enthusiast idoogleceo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, for a lot of designers including the ones in our offices, it depends on the technique used as well. For example, if the client has the ability to use SSI, this greatly reduces design time. For example, you create one template based on SSI, and reuse it, only adding or changing the content. This can contribute to spitting out a large site in almost record time

I also think it has a lot to do with client cooperation, and the individual designer. Some designers will be given the freedom (from the client) to come up with whatever they want, and the designer will create as they go. While, in other (most) instances the client will have a specific idea in mind, which creates the blueprint.

Overall, there is a wide range of occurances that contribute to the length of time an individual project will take to complete.
    AvidNewMedia - Premium NAC bandwidth
    [Shared Solutions] [Private Label Reseller Solutions] [Dedicated Solutions]
    Instant Account Setup! Signup Today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How long do you do website?

Originally posted by friend_al_23
    For personal sites, how long does it take to get it all working? or how about sites like SitePoint? or Yahoo!? or Amazon.com? or how about a small business website?
    These are all very different types of Web sites. I'd have to say that are still working on SitePoint and Yahoo! and even Amazon. SitePoint adds articles every couple of days and every time we add to the forum here, we are contributing to the network (I want a raise!). Yahoo! adds to it's huge databases of Web sites and all the other services it offers. And, Amazon continually adds to, deletes from, and maintains its database of products. Plus, all three of those examples constantly promote the brand awareness of their sites as well.

As for personal sites, I've heard they can be some of the toughest to get off the ground because you are always the most critical of your own work. Plus, they usually take the back seat to your clients' sites. I've also noticed that personal sites undergo many more major revisions than larger corporate sites.

In general, though, it depends on what your requirements, and how fast you work. It's a very individual thing. However, a good Web site is never really done.

~~Hope This Helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: How long do you do website?

Originally posted by Ian Glass
    As for personal sites, I've heard they can be some of the toughest to get off the ground because you are always the most critical of your own work.

In general, though, it depends on what your requirements, and how fast you work. It's a very individual thing. However, a good Web site is never really done.

~~Hope This Helps
    damn you really described me there.... i'm so hard on the design of my site, that sometimes i'm like forget it. i recently picked it back up, but your telling the truth there about being critical of your own work...
    i love php

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

As long as it takes basically. If I have spent ages on a site and it still isn't entirely finished I will work on it more before launching it. There is no point at all on launching an un-finished site it will just cause more problems down the line. However if I finish a site in a couple of days there is little point in working on it for the sake of working on it. It can sometimes do more harm than good.

As said before though the time it takes for a site to be developed largely depends on what needs to be done. Obviously a small 10 page site will be finsihed in a lot smaller time than a full blown ecommerce site or database driven site.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have made one in 3 days. Probably a total of 12 hours. It was fast becauase I wanted it simple with no server side for myself.

On my fitness page it is more personal and I want it to be perfect and I have been working on that one for a while.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time...a valuable thing

Remember, time is a valuable thing... it all depends on how much money I'm being paid to a certain extent. I would do far more r&d on a site that I was getting 10k for than a 1k site.

I think realistically you have to start with the backend, and work your way out. 1 hour to half a day to work out the logistics and how the site is going to actually work is time well spent-thinking about how users are going to navigate the site, and how you are actually going to build the site structure is no1 on my list first (I know, I've made the mistake of negleting this before!)

Then I would say about 1 and a half days-3 days on interface concepts..reaching a final decision at the end of this period to decide exactly how the site will look.

Production time can vary wildly of course... it's an undifined beast. This is always a grey area, and hard to put a timeframe on as there are too many variants (including clients changing their minds!!)
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time...a valuable thing

Remember, time is a valuable thing... it all depends on how much money I'm being paid to a certain extent. I would do far more r&d on a site that I was getting 10k for than a 1k site.

I think realistically you have to start with the backend, and work your way out. 1 hour to half a day to work out the logistics and how the site is going to actually work is time well spent-thinking about how users are going to navigate the site, and how you are actually going to build the site structure is no1 on my list first (I know, I've made the mistake of negleting this before!)

Then I would say about 1 and a half days-3 days on interface concepts..reaching a final decision at the end of this period to decide exactly how the site will look.

Production time can vary wildly of course... it's an undefined beast. This is always a grey area, and hard to put a timeframe on as there are too many variants (including clients changing their minds!!)
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think anyone could build a site in 12 hours. If I had all the content I could build it in a couple. If you want a detailed good site its going to take a way longer time than that. Period. I've been working on one for a month now and there is only going to be 12 pages. I have gone through probably 3 total different designs before I decided on this one. It really just matters how much you care about the site and your work.

SitePoint Enthusiast idoogleceo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the biggest setbacks is a client that does not know what they want. They think they do, but many times, it turns out...they don't.

Since most clients really have no working knowledge of how a good working site is put together (otherwise they wouldn't have hired you), they will rush you around, until you are almost finished, and then change their mind, and make you do it ALL over, a different way. Nothing is more frustrating, and time consuming.

I think the only thing that can compare to the time consumed by a touchy client, is imagining the layout itself. The more websites you design, the harder it is to be unique, and make them all different.

I think 12 hours is a good estimate for a basic site. However, my experiences in this business, is that some clients think that you should work 12 hours straight, until it's finished

We actually had a client that thought 1 week was too long to create a flash site, that used forms to update his database of copy machine meter readings, email him the form input, and then automatically print out the legal formatted data sheets from Excel! So, he decided to go elsewhere. I've noticed his old site has never changed.

I've went way off topic here. So that's enough from me

idoogleceo
    AvidNewMedia - Premium NAC bandwidth
    [Shared Solutions] [Private Label Reseller Solutions] [Dedicated Solutions]
    Instant Account Setup! Signup Today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shap
    I think anyone could build a site in 12 hours. If I had all the content I could build it in a couple. If you want a detailed good site its going to take a way longer time than that. Period. I've been working on one for a month now and there is only going to be 12 pages. I have gone through probably 3 total different designs before I decided on this one. It really just matters how much you care about the site and your work.
    lol it took almost 12hrs just coming up with a logo for my site... i've been working on my site for a year, i finish up a template design then i'm like nah i don't like that one. so it looks like i'll be stuck for a while, till i find something i am happy with....
    i love php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the better a website the longer it takes
    but when you worked really hard and long on it
    the pleasure is mucj bigger than when you
    made a website that is not really good and practical
    you know
    So the better and bigger the longer
    it depends