SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast timjpriebe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a package that has just one mock-up, and a package that has 4 mock-ups. On both packages, I always limit the revisions to 3 batches, though the actual list of revisions in a batch is not limited. That way, the site isn't being tweaked forever, but it does still allow for some adjustments.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 the max. Less is more.

The more you give, the more they ask.
    http://www.designmoments.com
    Always remember the moments without forgetting the days

SitePoint Zealot PenGwnFistOfFury's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one mockup.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might do two mockups if they paid me a considerable amount for the extra service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The designer that I work with always poses 3 designs even after a very thorough discussions. My guess at what they do, and I'm not 100% sure, is that they brief their design team on the project and then team members independently create drafts for me to review. This is what I have inferred after many discussions with them. The process works great, and because the sites are relatively small and don't require over thinking every detail - it usually ends up being one of the harder decisions
    Building Perfomster: an online video contest
    blog.performster.com
    On our blog you can read about our successes and failures
    Pre-register with us and you just might win an iPod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally do 1 good mockup and make minor changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will know it when I see it.

I try to read the client first; some clents don't know what they want until they see it. A good question to ask is, "What websites do you like and why"; and "What websites do you NOT like and why".

I usally create three designs sets (non functioning - jpgs); each set shows a home page and a secondary page for the client who wants options. The only risk is the client combining all three designs into one design.
    Last edited by gregorious; Apr 2, 2007 at 08:20. Reason: clarity
    G. Armento - Design, Multimedia, Illustration, Photography
    -------------------------------------------------------
    www.communications-by-design.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont mind doing mockups but once they start telling me to fix small/ minor things I start getting mad and tell them I will fix it tomorrow.
    directorygo.net-Submit your site for free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

price is subject to change

Quote Originally Posted by CoryTaylor View Post
    I dont mind doing mockups but once they start telling me to fix small/ minor things I start getting mad and tell them I will fix it tomorrow.

My website states "price is subject to change, depending on whether a customer insists on watching, receiving lessons, or giving real-time instruction."
    G. Armento - Design, Multimedia, Illustration, Photography
    -------------------------------------------------------
    www.communications-by-design.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by gregorious View Post
    My website states "price is subject to change, depending on whether a customer insists on watching, receiving lessons, or giving real-time instruction."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My contract tells client that I provide up to two mockups and up to three minor revisions. But people's replies on the thread have convinced me. Now I'm going to try to just give them only one mockup. I have to change my contract template of course. Let me see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr John View Post
    A friend had a client from hell who wanted different versions of every single PART of the page, including altering a bar that was about five pixels high by asking for four of five different shades of blue for the ONE pixel high bottom edge!
    Even if I give them one mockup, I have had clients not too far from what you mentioned who requested once change after another and after another. What do you do in cases of those clients?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me 3 is just nice, sometimes I will use my past templates from other clients that didnt like my drafts. This saves time...lots of it...
    Calling all Webmasters & Affiliates
    Top Converting PC TV Offer - High Payout. Earn $2K-10K a month.
    Increase your revenue today!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artcoder View Post
    Even if I give them one mockup, I have had clients not too far from what you mentioned who requested once change after another and after another. What do you do in cases of those clients?
    From a financial POV, you ensure you stipulate allowed number of minor revisions - I believe 2-3 is pretty much the norm. After that, more money is required.

From a hair-pulling 'when is this all going to end' POV, communication is the key. If the client is still not happy after 3 revisions, IMO you will need to arrange additional consultations with them to see where you are both going wrong in the needs analysis - are you not asking the right questions, or are they simply not answering your questions properly?

Worse case scenario is that the client simply doesn't know what they want - this is unfortunately not a great position to be in, as theoretically you could be working on that design concept for the next 3 years assuming the client has a bottomless pit of money. Of course, if you are getting paid for all of this, then it's not so bad, but then again, we all need a bit of closure in life

Personally if I was faced with such a client and started seeing the tell-tale signs of the never-ending design concept, I would simply draw a line and give them say, 2 more revisions for £xxx - after this, they can either approve it or find themselves a new designer.

SitePoint Member vibrantgardener's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, 2 max. Mockups are just the initial concept of a design, they are meant to be worked on from there. I have had mockups turn out to look absolutely nothing like it originally did, but it was a great base to start from

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two...

Any more and they'll get confused, keep asking for changes and it'll take weeks to get approval.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many website mockups is enough?

It all depends on the client but I usually work on 2 mockups. One more conservative and the other a bit more radical. Many times they end up choosing the more conservative but appreciate the work put in for the unchosen alternative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how large the client is-- if it's a one-on-one I'll have them sketch out the site on a pieces of paper and use that as the basis for my CSS; the compromise design is a second so that'd be two.

For my corporation? *grimace* I wonder if building an SDLC model will help cut down the circular inbox flow....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From 2003 to 2005 at an old job I used to present 3 different designs to every client. They often picked the concept I liked the least, were indecisive, and made poor requests in design changes.

Since 2006 I've been presenting only one concept and doing my best to do it well the first time, doing only what I think looks good.

The result is cleaner design, the client seems to be happier without having multiple choices, and the design elements I've created tend to stick without modification.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally I do 3 design samples.Some customers ask for 5 depending on the agreeement

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 Paper concepts and 1 illustrator mockup according to "Principals of beautiful web designs".

Design to WordPress
    Free powerful and user-friendly control panel included.
    PM me for 10% refund discount on your first order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree that 1 mock up is enough provided you the designer are happy with it, the less choices the customer has the more easier it is to go ahead. Although if it was a logo than usually 2 or 3 is a good idea
    Learn SEO - Join the community at GSEO.net
    SEO Book - SEO Revenge eBook
    Make Money Programs - No Fluff!
    Make Money Online

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

listen to the music

Meeting clients expectations is much like dancing, some want to lead some want to be lead. In business, especially the web development business our experience has been that there are 2 different classes of clients, leaders and followers.

Leader clients have their own idea of what the end product is to look and feel like and provide specific guidelines with deadlines and expectations. Be clear as to what is expected and make sure your deadlines are reasonable.

Follower clients are much less prepared, know they require a web presence but have little or no other thoughts or direction. Follower clients are going to develop ideas over time but providing direction and ideas will build confidence and trust.

We recommend that the most important part of making a long term client relationship is to "listen to the music" and see if the client wants to lead or be lead through a project. Communication is key in any relationship so keep up your reporting and provide billing that is detailed, the time spent upfront is always worth it in the long run.
    DVH
    www.davidhurowitz.com - about David Hurowitz
    www.searchtoppers.com - Search and Mobile Marketing
    www.riflesnguns.com - a Gun and Rifle community site