SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How personal is your blog?

After blogging for any length of time, eventually we make a conscious or unconsciously decision as to what the personal boundaries of our blog are going to be.

Do you have pictures of yourself? Your name? Family Pictures?
    People don't read ads. They read what interests them,
    and sometimes that happens to be an ad.
    TrulyBored.com | TankingTips.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not too personal. I'll post pictures of myself but not anyone else I know, nor do I get too explicit with anything I've done. I don't think anyone cares what I ate for lunch really, so I try to find other stuff to talk about.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to stick with a tech business focus on my blog, and I publish under my real name. There aren't really pictures of any sort on it, let alone ones of me--but that is a design (or lack thereof) decision rather than a personal one.

I have been thinking of starting a more personal blog to dump my random thought, rants, conversations, and bits of prose... and I'm not sure if I'd publish that under my real name. There are some things I imagine I might want to get off my chest there that I wouldn't want associated with my professional persona.

And in the past I have blogged about rather personal stuff, so I don't have any problem with doing it.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On a related note. How do you guys feel about posting your real name on a blog? Do you find blogs which do not publish their name less authentic and thus you tend not to read it?
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamermk View Post
    After blogging for any length of time, eventually we make a conscious or unconsciously decision as to what the personal boundaries of our blog are going to be.

Do you have pictures of yourself? Your name? Family Pictures?
    I don't discuss actual personal issues and like Josh says I keep certain views/thoughts to myself to avoid controversy.

Now if I just had something to blog about
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    On a related note. How do you guys feel about posting your real name on a blog? Do you find blogs which do not publish their name less authentic and thus you tend not to read it?
    I do however use my real name and have my pic up (though not a very complimentary one) I do not care what the title of a blog is or if the author uses their given name or not.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not personal. I just write about the subject matter, with some personal views but really quite minimal. However, I have found that those writers who do have a very definite personal point-of-view tend to attract more readers.

Rich

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    I don't discuss actual personal issues and like Josh says I keep certain views/thoughts to myself to avoid controversy.

Now if I just had something to blog about I do however use my real name and have my pic up (though not a very complimentary one) I do not care what the title of a blog is or if the author uses their given name or not.
    Questions. Do your friends/family know you blog? Do they read it? Do they ever bring up topics you've blogged? Would you feel embarrassed if they did?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been thinking about creating my own personal blog.

But today heard on the radio that more and more businesses are searching the internet when looking at interviewees to see if they have any blogs or are part or community websites like MySpace. They want to see what kind of things you have up.

That makes me fear wanting to put up any kind of opinionated blogs, e.g. on politics or social issues.

I'd like to have it be somewhat personal so my family and friends can read it, but will probably password protect those portions of any blog. Am hoping it may save me from having to write a lot of emails, which I am not too good at writing on a regular basis.
    http://AccessDB.info
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live. - D.Adams

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't care if a blog's real or not as long as it's entertaining/interesting/funny. The same policy extends to whether or not the author uses their real name.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you pieced together parts of mine with less than average effort, you could probably track me down if you wanted. Half my name is in my domain, and I've got a lot of other clues here and there.

Somehow Googling my full name brings up my blog on page 3 or so, hopefully deep enough for the nosy folks I work with to give up before they find it. Although knowing people there like to dig around online, and I have a 12-year old cousin that reads it apparently religiously, I'm pretty tame on there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not very personal at all. I don't even have a picture of myself on my blog yet, I will do soon though since I'm upgrading it (hopefully, I think)
    “There's a way to do it better - find it.”
    — Thomas Edison

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out my blog using a very impersonal style. After a while, it just got boring to write. I had to make it more personal. I don't have my name on there, I don't have my picture, but I now write it in first person! Big step, eh?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not put anything on a blog that i would not want in the news paper. Everyone seems to think no one will find out but look at how many people get in trouble at work for things they post online.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleys View Post
    I tend to stick with a tech business focus on my blog, and I publish under my real name.
    My blog is on my portfolio site so I'm the same - stick to web dev, non-personal topics and use my real name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes surely uses

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the post I made today about upgrading my net connection was the most personal I've gotten so far. And that is semi-related... sorta, kinda... ok, I was just bragging.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a blog that is for family and friends so it is personal. They get to know what my family has done in a given day. I don't post any real personal details, just kind of what we have done over the weekend and if my son lost a tooth so its really only of interest to those people.

I have another blog that is a "personal" blog meaning I can post about whatever I want, but it has more of a technical slant. I don't go into too many details about my personal life, but you definitely can get a feel for my personality on my blog and this I think is a good thing and something that seperates blogging with standard writing.

If you are going to have an online presence, this is definitely something you want to consider. I work with clients online so there will be some issues I won't touch with a 10-foot pole. Once it's on the web, there is a good chance it will always be there and that is something you must remember.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not name or pictures, but I (will) have lots of "self portraits"
    Tweep List adds an avatar menu to Twitter (open source)
    Word Stats shows your most used words on Twitter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Questions. Do your friends/family know you blog? Do they read it? Do they ever bring up topics you've blogged? Would you feel embarrassed if they did?
    Yes my family and friends know I have a blog, or at least I mention it but I doubt anyone remembers and I doubt they read it.

No, I would not be embarrassed if they did.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    Yes my family and friends know I have a blog, or at least I mention it but I doubt anyone remembers and I doubt they read it.

No, I would not be embarrassed if they did.
    Yah, honestly it is something I am really self conscious of doing but I think it would be really rewarding. Though, since you guys don't seem to care about anonymity I might give it a twirl.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes when I first started blogging I was very self conscious about it. Then after I did it I slowly got more and more used to it (as one does with any repeated behavior) and have grown to enjoy it.

Though I am still careful as to what I blog about (most of the time)

If you are going to discuss anything other than your personal life I think a assumed name (either for the blog, yourself or both) would be appropriate IMHO.

This does not mean you cannot still discuss topics of a personal nature nor does it mean that a personal blog has to have a real persons name attributed to it.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the blogs I have is part of my person site, so it is quite personal and I usually write what ever I feel that I need to write about there.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I add a certain element of personalisation to my blog as I was an editor of a print magazine for 3 years I do tend to inject a lot of my own beliefs in what I wrote but I think my readers kind of expect that somewhat.

R

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Mine is absolutely no holds barred. I am careful with regard to how much I give away about other people without their permission.

A couple of my friends and family read it, but not many. I don't keep it a secret but if it comes up in conversation I do warn them that they might find out more about me than they want to know. Then it's up to them to decide.

An interesting thing happened on Friday night though. I met my first stranger that reads my blog. He figured out who I was... it was pretty crazy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am always personal. Even in my articles. So my blog is even more personal. I think my readers like this .. they can related easy