SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternatives to Atomz search?

Always in the pursuit of the best product for the least money...

What alternatives are there to Atomz (the service that puts a site search engine on your site quickly and easily)? As I see it, there are 3 general categories of possibilities:

1 - Other '3rd party' services like Atomz
    2 - Shareware scripts that you install yourself on your own site/server
    3 - Write your own (too hard - I'll ignore this one).

As wonderful as Atomz (Express Service) is, what are my alternatives when I want a comprehensive search facility on my site when I have >500 pages?

Are there other services like Atomz that will do a similar job on >500 pages for free or a modest fee? The next rung up the ladder from Atomz Express Service is US$10,000/year (or more)! I kid you not.

When I say 'comprehensive', the search facility I'd like is one that will index (in addition to 'easy' html pages) my dynamic (database-sourced) pages, AND other documents such as Word and PDF.

Examples of some shareware scripts:
    http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/
    http://santry.com/santryindexer.asp

Does anyone have any experience with these scripts? Do they perform comprehensive searches on .html, .htm, dynamic, .doc, .pdf documents?

The core of my dilemma is this: if I include the Atomz Express search engine on a commercial site that (over time) grows to over 500 pages, where do I go when the site owner says to me "I notice the search engine is working very well these days..." ?

Looking forward to your comments...
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say go with Atomz search for now. That way you'll get your site up on schedule, and you can research other options while your waiting for the site to fill up.

One of those options would be to use one of Google's remotely hosted search service. I haven't used them, but if they're as good as the regular web search, then they'd be hands down the best. I believe that AltaVista and some of the others have their own products and services as well. :-)

~~Hope This Helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could always give google your money,
    http://www.google.com/services/customsitesearch.html