SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many mongrel processes?

I read the final chapter of the book and i wonder if i need to start up as many mongrel processes as many rails applications i've got on my server. If it is so i have to start every new mongrel process (that serves a particular rails application on the server) on a different port right?

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you need a free port on whatever IP you bind the mongrel process to (if you have multiple IPs on assigned to your machine) for each one. For low-traffic apps you should be ok with a single mongrel process but for most production apps 2 is really the minimum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Redpath View Post
    Yes, you need a free port on whatever IP you bind the mongrel process to (if you have multiple IPs on assigned to your machine) for each one. For low-traffic apps you should be ok with a single mongrel process but for most production apps 2 is really the minimum.
    ok but i have to start a mongrel process (with its script) for every application from each application main directory is that right?
    Each rails application is attached to its mongrel process?
    So on every server/pc there will be many applications each with its mongrel process running and each on a different port right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For low-traffic apps you should be ok with a single mongrel process but for most production apps 2 is really the minimum.
    I can start 2 or more mongrell processes on the same rails application? How can i do that?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need at least one mongrel process for each web app, it is usually advisable to have at least two. As reggieB said have a look at mongrel cluster for this.

You could considor using mongrel as your backend server and proxying to it from a frontend server, such as apache with mod_proxy or something like nginx, I've found nginx works well for me. Doing this allows you to use virtualhosts, so you only need one IP. Then you can use 127.0.0.1:someport number(something like to 8000) to 127.0.0.1:another port number (eg if you had 4 mongrel processes 8003)

Have a look at

http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/ch...eployment.html

as it goes through the various deployment options for using mongrel in different circumstances.
    Mongolia Overland - The Greatest Adventure on Earth