SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS hooks for layout design

I'm going back and forth on some questions in the book, so please bear with me.

My CSS stylesheet is generating different results from the layout which is shown on page on page 163. Instead of a box div with a white background surrounded by a green border on a dark grey background, I'm getting only a dark gray background with no box.

I went into my "public" directory to check out my style.css file; the css file looks fine, with a div id for content used to delineate the box. This suggests that the CSS is fine.

I would like to check my HTML or RHTML source file/s, which I assume are dynamically generated by the Mongrel webserver, to make sure that the div is there to hang the #content div on.

How do I do this?

Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why don't you view source when you're on the page? That way you'll see all the HTML that your code generates.

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure the scaffold.css is not getting in the way?

Alternatively, grab something like Firebug / Web Developer for Firefox, it will let you inspect the markup at run time for styles and will tell you where it's getting inherited from (if you use Firebug).

Warning though, Firebug doesn't like Linux. You need to grab a copy of QEMU + KVM or Vmware (player) and install a Windows VM if you are under Linux, or Remote Desktop into an old doze system.
    http://virtualfunction.net - Rails Web Development
    http://squaremove.co.uk - Rails powered Property Listings