User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Development Enviornment

What do you guys develop around?

Right now I have an iMac, but I'm considering buying a Macbook or Mac Book Pro and then selling my iMac, and then also getting a large display 24" or 30" (depending whether I go macbook or mac book pro). If anyone would like to give me feedback regarding this dilemma, that would be great.
    Sites: Geek Blog -

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like what you are really asking is "what Mac should I buy", which isn't really appropriate or relevent in this forum.

OSX is a great development environment for Ruby/Rails whatever model of Mac you have, but if you want advice on a specific model perhaps a Mac forum would be more helpful?

FWIW I have a MacBook Pro and its a great machine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not really a Ruby question, moving...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the question?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a dual 1.8GHZ PowerPC for a while. In december I sold it and bought an iMac core duo with 120G (OS) and 2G of ram. In addition, I have a lacie 250GB FW/USB drive/hub for data / projects. Lastly, I have a 250G Fantom FW/USB drive for backups. I have a 20.5" LG that is wonderful.

With this set up, I can run PhotoShop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Safari, Firefox, Parallels (with XP for IE6/IE7 site compatibility testing), and half dozen other apps without any problems. Basically, it is comparative in speed as my previous PowerPC G5 dual 1.8GHZ with 2G of ram.
    intragenesis, llc professional web & graphic design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, I'm looking to learn Ruby and Rails - - I have a mac and I was wondering what's the best IDE or editor for Ruby on a mac
    if you could also give me some URL's to tutorials/screen casts I would appreciate it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    << What do you guys develop around? >>

I've got a dell inspiron notebook running Ubuntu. On that machine I run a lamp setup. I also have a 3.2ghz XP work station (also used for gaming) that I do the bulk of my development on. When I work at the workstation, I still use my notebook as the server. When I'm on the run, I take my server with me.

It's kind of a weird setup, but I've tried building robust home servers and still end up using the notebook.
    Last edited by Zaskoda; Apr 4, 2007 at 09:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post
    Hi guys, I'm looking to learn Ruby and Rails - - I have a mac and I was wondering what's the best IDE or editor for Ruby on a mac
    if you could also give me some URL's to tutorials/screen casts I would appreciate it

You might give Eclipse a shot. Don't overlook BBEDIT and Textwrangler as well.
    intragenesis, llc professional web & graphic design