SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how does cpanel store webmail passwords?

Hiya, I am building a webmail client and am going to be using sessions to access the mailserver. When the user logs in I create sessions with the username and password. The password use md5 encryption. When I create an email account through cpanel what encryption does the password use. When I try to use the md5 password to access the email it doesn't work. Is there anyway else to do this? Thanks, Tina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    post the code 2 check it out?

in ur php(whatever page verfiy login details), is the password being converted back 2 md5 to check the md5 password in the db?
    Last edited by daxz; Mar 19, 2007 at 13:33. Reason: to vague
    Dark Wing Chun Project
    www.darkwingchun.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx daxz, the login is not a problem. I store the md5 password in the users database and when I log in I convert the password to md5 to compare.

I was just wondering if there was a way that I could access the email accounts using the password? I don't know how cpanel encrypts passwords for email accounts or even if it does?

I guess I could grab the login password and store it in a session before md5 and then encrypt to check against the database. Is it safe to store an unencryted password in a session though?

Tina