SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the web 2.0 Tag functionality...

reading chapter ten of sitepoint's rails book, where it teaches you to use tag functionality for the book's example application, i wonder if this "must have" for web 2.o applications (like the suthor says) is a replacement for a site's search engine code. And if it is not which method is the best to develop a search engine for a rails application?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a flat generalization of a category system. Instead of putting an object in a category you give it tags. All kinds of cool things can be done with this: showing related objects, related tags etc. This makes navigation easier, so it could be a replacement for search, but search is much better for some things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's a "must have" (it's only useful with certain types of content in my opinion), nor do I really think it's a replacement for a search engine. Look at Flickr for example, it has tag-based browsing if you're just looking for a particular concept or want to browse a certain type of picture, but there's a search engine to find photos that may not show up under tags (for example, if a user gives detailed captions/descriptions for each photo but doesn't tag their collection).

For search, I'd use the acts_as_ferret rails plugin. Ferret is a Ruby port of Java's Lucene search engine and it's pretty flexible/customizable. The coolest part is that it can work with acts_as_taggable and other tag-based plugins, so for example you can tell the search engine to give more weight to items tagged with a keyword used in a search query. Best of both worlds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    I don't think it's a "must have" (it's only useful with certain types of content in my opinion), nor do I really think it's a replacement for a search engine. Look at Flickr for example, it has tag-based browsing if you're just looking for a particular concept or want to browse a certain type of picture, but there's a search engine to find photos that may not show up under tags (for example, if a user gives detailed captions/descriptions for each photo but doesn't tag their collection).

For search, I'd use the acts_as_ferret rails plugin. Ferret is a Ruby port of Java's Lucene search engine and it's pretty flexible/customizable. The coolest part is that it can work with acts_as_taggable and other tag-based plugins, so for example you can tell the search engine to give more weight to items tagged with a keyword used in a search query. Best of both worlds
    thanks i will give it a look