SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfamiliar with Dreamweaver and I have a few questions.

I have migrated what I thought was a fairly simple site onto my server.

The original host was a professional managed hosting service and the reason for the switch is that my 'client' (I'm doing this more as a favor than anything else) was too small of an account to get the service they needed. Anyway, before I did the migration I swapped some emails with the original host to make sure that my server would meet all of the technical requirements for hosting the site. Now that the migration has occurred there is a problem with an html form that was apparently developed using Dreamweaver.

The form allows input by the user and is then supposed to send an email to my client. This is a straight html page with javascript functions. The javascript functions all appear to be from Dreamwever (function names like MM_formValidate) and so forth.

So now the client is saying that the form isn't working. But I haven't made any changes to the page. I migrated the entire site as is and made a few changes to an unrelated php file.

I'm quite perplexed by what is happening but I think this must ultimately trace back to one of the following:

1. There is some sort of Dreamweaver component that I need to have installed on my server.

2. This thing never worked in the first place (it's a low traffic site) and this has only been discovered as a result of the client doing migration testing.

Can anybody tell me if my #1 possibility is valid or not?

Thanks in advance.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anybody tell me if my #1 possibility is valid or not?
    Dreamweaver is a text editor, so the component you need on your server is the ability to send a text file to a browser.

I migrated the entire site as is and made a few changes to an unrelated php file
    Change it back and see if it works.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the "action" of the form? Did you copy that file over, and have you changed it at all? What server-side language does it use to process the form? Do you know anything about that language, in order to inspect it and see what it is or is not doing? Oh, and do you get any error messages on submitting the form?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments. So this was not a javascript problem but had to do with my server hiccuping on a hanging newline character. GRRRRR.

The form was using the php mail function and for whatever reason my server didn't like the message ending with a the newline char.

cheers