User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Validation site review

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some input good/bad indifferent on my forum.

I would be grateful of how I can improve this site. Perhaps more images are required?

All comments are much appreciated

www.askaboutvalidation.com

Best Regards

Gaz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I start I just want to state that my review may be slightly biased. I work at a Pharmaceutical company and have to deal with validation and all that fun stuff every day. With that being said lets get rolling

Browser: IE 6
    Res: 1280x1024

The logo is very professional and blends well with the overall theme of the site. You have good brand recognition here, and you are carrying it to the forum icons as well to keep a very uniform look over the site.

The Google link at the top is a nice touch (Is that the mod from vB.org or a custom job?) Having the results integrate into your site is a nice touch.

Content wise you have a lot of forums, and the threads are spread out so far that it has an empty feel. I can understand what you are trying to do though, and I do not feel it is a bad thing, but you will have to put some extra effort into keeping the forums active, at least until you get more traffic.

The forum theme is nice, but it is still using the default blue vBulletin buttons for new posts and such. These should be redone to match the rest of the site.

The topic is a niche topic, but it is the first forum that I have seen that focuses on this area. This is a good thing

So far I think you have done a great job. Focus on some of the remaining buttons and getting more content and you will have a great community on your hands.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for you comments calash, even better that you understand that the site is a niche site. I understand its not for the mainstream and as result building up momentum is difficult.

I fully agree with you in relation to an empty feel regarding the forum, but as you said you can understand why I have done this.

As there are so many different aspects of validation in our industry I thought it was important to give them their own category.

Basically what I need are enthusuiastic people to use the site and add great content.

I try to add 5-10 posts per day there's alot of work involved just adding content apart from actually designing the site and bringing it to the stage it is at today.

It's taken 9 months to get it to this level now that I am resonably happy with the overall look and feel it's content, content, content for the next 6 months

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The content you already have is very well done and of good quality. Keep up with that level of content and the site will become a valuable resource.

I know with the company I am at, a lot of this is done internal and with assumptions that everybody knows how it works. A forum such as this will be a welcome resource to some of us. I know I will be bookmarking it and checking back now and then

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design:
    The design is fairly well done. The logo is excellent. There is TONS of information on the front page and it feels a little bit cluttered to a user who has no idea what the site is about!

Content:
    There's tons of niched content. I don't know where to start. I can't say it's a very user-friendly site, but I assume it's not meant to be.

Overall, it shows that you've put a ton of work into this site and it seems like it is on its way to success. Good Luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gokeeffe View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for some input good/bad indifferent on my forum.

I would be grateful of how I can improve this site. Perhaps more images are required?

All comments are much appreciated

www.askaboutvalidation.com

Best Regards

Gaz

What i see here is too much text but insufficient banner or graphics..to spruce things up.
    The Free downlod text is too small in relation to the explosion image.
    and also an extremely long first page...
    it's tough to scroll down all the way and not quite easy to the eyes

The header is however very nicely done

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=DanielOkula.com;3611426]
    There's tons of niched content. I don't know where to start. I can't say it's a very user-friendly site, but I assume it's not meant to be.
    [QUOTE]

What do you mean its not very user friendly.

I thought the homepage is well layed out and is a good opening page so that the user is not just brought to the forum where there is a pile of infomation.

I thought it was layed out pretty well so that the user is not confused.

Yes it is a niche site so I suppose I wont be getting many people logging on who dont work in this particular field.

I also thought having a clear search bar at the top would make it much easier for the users to find information they require

How can I make it more user firendly

Suggestions are welcome.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice site but i dont understand the title? why is it validation if its about life sciences. Also, i think there is too much content on one page, try to break into parts or subcategories..

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Validation is a task that must be performed in every Medical Device, Biotechnology or Pharmaceutical company in order tro release a product to market.

Its pretty much a niche website so only those that work in nthe industery will use it.

The general consensus is that there is too much content on the homepage, this is something I will have to look at