SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tech Support Forum

I would like to introduce a new community to the world. Tech Support Forum.

Basicaly it is a site geared toward bench techs and others that have to get down and dirty with computers in their daily lives. Check it out, and feel free to share any feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not bad... good choice in going with vBulletin.

But let's be honest here. You have WAY too many forums... more than SitePoint, which is a large community. You need to start small and compact with more general forums. When those become busy, start slowly creating new ones and dividing them up. But if you start off with three dozen forums, people will be more discouraged to participate. Who wants to be the first person to post in a forum? Not I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    It's not bad... good choice in going with vBulletin.

But let's be honest here. You have WAY too many forums... more than SitePoint, which is a large community. You need to start small and compact with more general forums. When those become busy, start slowly creating new ones and dividing them up. But if you start off with three dozen forums, people will be more discouraged to participate. Who wants to be the first person to post in a forum? Not I.

Thanks, vBulletin has been awsome. The support is great, and it has been extremely easy to work with.

Ok, I cut back on some of the forums and merged some until more posts start flowing in. So far I have submited to Yahoo, Google, and Zeal. I've been helping out on other tech sites, posting in e-mail groups and helping in newsgroups all places have a link to my site in my sig. What else could you recomend besides creating seperate accounts and talking with myself. I've got 17 members since about the begining of the month. So I'm gaining a new member almost at a rate of 1 per 1.5 days. I've also got three people helping me out with the site, two are there daily. What would be a good growth rate? I don't want to grow too big too fast and loose control, but would like a good steady rate.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vBulletin

Danrak,

Do vBulletin have various packages based on the needs of sites, or does everyone get the standard package?

I notice that sitepoint.com.au use vBulletin, and am wondering, if you were to get it, whether you can choose which features you want to use.

I know I probably should have posted this message on the vBulletin forum, but sorry - wasn't up to registering for yet another forum just yet. Maybe soon...

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bondibear, it's all or nothing when you purchase vBulletin.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR is correct. You only get one package. If you want to customize it though, you take a trip over to vbulletin.org and register there (you will need to have a valid license for vbulletin to d/l anything) and check out the hacks there. Most of the hacks I installed went in without a single problem. The creators of the hacks usually also offer any help with problems you run into. I do think this is a great piece of software though.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not gonna comment on the forum software, as long as you get a decent one (vB, phpBB, iKB, what have you), it will be the Admin that makes the site.

I would say to remove more forums, there are still too many in my opinion. Besides that its your standard vB... I kind of don't like the light blue on the pages though, another shade of purple or something more compatable would probably look better.