SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML Photo Gallery?

Does anyone know of one? I can't use php on this as the client wants html. I'm looking for one that works like php where it shows the photos from that directory.

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is a server-side language. HTML is a markup language. They have very different uses and capabilities. To do this with HTML, you would have to hard-code everything. It's a whole lot more cost effective to use server-side scripting to do this.

Why doesn't your client want PHP?
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravvitz View Post
    PHP is a server-side language. HTML is a markup language. They have very different uses and capabilities. To do this with HTML, you would have to hard-code everything. It's a whole lot more cost effective to use server-side scripting to do this.

Why doesn't your client want PHP?
    I would do it in php because I know how, but my client doesn't know php and wants to keep everything in html as he'll be using frontpage to edit the website.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd look into setting up a content management system for your client so he can just use a Web browser to make the necessary changes. It may cost more up front, but the maintenance costs will be a lot less, especially given how he plans to use FrontPage (which Microsoft no longer makes or supports) to maintain the site.

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shockbotkins View Post
    I would do it in php because I know how, but my client doesn't know php and wants to keep everything in html as he'll be using frontpage to edit the website.
    A CMS would be the ideal solution.

Short of that ideal and in consideration of the client wanting to use FP, I would have them generate the album with Web Album Generator and then drag the folder it creates into the FP directory structure.

The code is pretty solid from this little gallery generator and the CSS is easy to edit to make the page jive with the rest of the site cosmetically.

Free or otherwise, Web Album Generator (it is free) is the best pure HTML image gallery app I have used yet on any platform (and I speak as an iPhoto and now Aperture user). The code they output when creating galleries is cr4p. jAlbum is not bad but this app produces far cleaner code and has a dirt simple UI so you or the client will pick it up in minutes.

The other suggestion would be to use a .js gallery like this one - not this one per se but something like it. Your client would running a greater chance of breaking this more complex code though, so perhaps the vanilla one-to-one HTML page approach would still be the least headache inducing for all.