SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb The Secret of Sitepoint Ruby Book's Code Archive

I'm hoping this will be of some help to individuals who, like myself, have encountered several issues with tests not working and other minor bugs:

If the code in the book doesn't work, and the code in the "chapterXX" directories of the code archive doesn't work, check the "shovell" directory in the code archive.

I never even noticed that the finished product was stored in the code archive because i was too busy pulling my hair out when the chapter-specific files failed to work (to sitepoint's credit, i had very little hair to start with, so the book's errors are not completely to blame). However, upon copying the archive 'shovell' dir into my 'rails_app' dir, i was able to fire up mongrel and witness (for the first time) the success of every single unit and functional test.

To those who don't own the book, i will repeat what others have said: the application you develop over the course of the book is solid, and i would still recommend the book to anyone looking for a good intro to ruby & rails.

I can only assume that some of corrections sitepoint made based on the testing referred to on page 278* were included in the archive's 'shovell' dir, but accidentally omitted from the chapter specific code-archive and the book's text.

Now, off to run a difference check between all the files i created and those in the archive 'shovell' dir!

* "And before you pull your hair out, remember that you can double-check your code against the code archive for this book--it went through considerable testing before release, so you can count on the code in it to work!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i really love this book
    I hope sitepoint will update the pdf so i can redownload it

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to download it, again...