User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mysql on macbook pro

Cheers,

i have the following problem. As I am new to mac os x and ruby i didn't get along with the installation procedure described in the book. With some help of a thread to how install mysql to os x i then managed to install mysql and start the server. That was yesterday. Today i fire up my mac and i can't seem to use mysql anymore. At the terminal the whereis mysql gives no result and i can't connect or administer mysql. Nothing from the book seems to work. I am very unexperianced at using the terminal so I dont even know where to start. Is there anyone who could give me some help. I realy want to start using ruby on rails. Thank in advance and greetings from germany.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

addition to above

if I change to /usr/local/mysql/bin/ and use the ls command I get a long list of mysql stuff like mysql, mysql_config, mysqlshow etc. But whatever command I call the reply is allways 'command not found'. I dont get it.
    Help. Please...

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like /usr/local/mysql/bin is no longer in your path. when you're in that directory, try typing ./mysql

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mysql problem on macbook pro

Quote Originally Posted by longneck View Post
    sounds like /usr/local/mysql/bin is no longer in your path. when you're in that directory, try typing ./mysql
    Thanks for the trick. Looked like it's doing at least something. Unfortunately I receive an error message as follows:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Any idea?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the server is not running.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so the server is not running.
    If I want to start the server following errors are produced:

localhost:/usr/local/mysql/bin buro$ ./mysqld_safe
    touch: /usr/local/mysql/data/mark-oliver-diwischs-computer.local.err: Permission denied
    chown: /usr/local/mysql/data/mark-oliver-diwischs-computer.local.err: Permission denied
    Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
    ./mysqld_safe: line 380: /usr/local/mysql/data/mark-oliver-diwischs-computer.local.err: Permission denied
    rm: /usr/local/mysql/data/mark-oliver-diwischs-computer.local.pid: Permission denied
    ./mysqld_safe: line 386: /usr/local/mysql/data/mark-oliver-diwischs-computer.local.err: Permission denied
    STOPPING server from pid file /usr/local/mysql/data/mark-oliver-diwischs-computer.local.pid
    tee: /usr/local/mysql/data/mark-oliver-diwischs-computer.local.err: Permission denied
    070314 16:03:03 mysqld ended
    tee: /usr/local/mysql/data/mark-oliver-diwischs-computer.local.err: Permission denied

Funny thing is yesterday everything worked fine. Today I turn on the mac and thats what happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have to run ./mysqld_safe as root.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very sorry but I'm quite new to all this. I am the only user on my mac so how come I don't have root rights? And how do i run ./mysqld_safe as root?