SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I display a background image in netscape 4.07?

Hi all,

I still seem to be having trouble with my site in NN 4.07, I have a bg img which just won't appear in this browser, it is fine in i.e 5, but as ususal NN is giving me grief. The bg img should appear next to the top flash movie as a continuation and stretch with the page as you resize the window so that the entire top of the page is coevered at all times, but at present in NN 4.07 it is just not there so to the right of my top menu there is just a grey space. I'm not sure what to do next or if it is possible to display the bg img in 4.07 version of netscape, if not is there another way of getting round it?

My site is: www.concrete-media.com

thanks for any help or suggestions

MD
    "My lyrics are encrypted in Hieroglyphic scriptures so you can picture this.....I make my point like a pyramid"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Could you be a little more specific as to which image. I just checked it in NN4.7 and everything seems ok.

BTW:

This:
    it's harness of technology

should be:

its harness of technology

the 'harness' belongs to 'it', so there is no apostrophe. "It is" is "it's".

Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks vincent,

I'm not worried about the text at the minute, that's just some nonsense someone wrote a long time ago which I'm just using as dummy text, it will all change once the site is ready to go live, but thanks.
    O.k, the image I am refer is.

<td background="images/top_bar_extend.gif">

this is basically an image which is a continuation of the yellow and gray striped background used in the top menu. Are you saying that in your browser, when you resize your window, the top bar stretches across the entire screen, which is basically what I wan't it to do. If anyone else read's this could you check my site in NN 4.07 if you have it and tell me if the top bar (the yellow, grey, yellow) stripe, stretches across the whole screen when you resize your window:

my site: www.concrete-media.com

thanks guy's
    "My lyrics are encrypted in Hieroglyphic scriptures so you can picture this.....I make my point like a pyramid"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I wouldn't call it yellow on my monitor -- more Green Bay Packer gold/orange
    The top menu (flash movie frame) has a 'Concrete Media' image on the left, followed by a menu on the right, consisting of top (orange background), middle (radio button images and changing text), and the menu itself (orange) -- this expands and contracts when I change the browser size. It looks good to me in NN4.7.

Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.k. thanks Vinny,

Maybe it's just my browser then, I think I need some way of getting quite a few people with NN 4.07 to test my site out, because it's still not showing up in my browser, very strange indeed.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NN doesn't always work with background images. Try making an absolute url

http://somewhere@home.com/images/image1.gif

You might have betterluck
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Maelstrom,

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I did'nt quite get what you meant by an "absolute url." I'm not totally clued up on html I just no bit's here and there, plus I've fallen victim to DREAMWEAVER! I'm more of a designer really, trying to get my head round the technical stuff. Could you please point out briefly which bit of the code I should be looking at.

Thanks for your help

MD

SitePoint Enthusiast Fluffy bunny slippers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MD Geist,

I love the look of the site and it display perfectly the cell image stretches right to the edge in NN 4.08.

when you export your images try exporting them transparent so they blend with the background.

you also don't need that big block image to push the side nav bar up.

i hope this helps

fluffy bunny slippers
    If you like the look of my slippers you should see my undies!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks fluffy bunny,

I'll try those suggestions you made, as I did notice on the mac, the images appear to be a slightly different shade. It's nice to get someone's opinion of how the site looks. With regards to the top menu bar It seems like it works in some people's browsers but not in other's I'll have to try something which works for everyone, but I'm glad you like the way it looks.

Thanks again

MD

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MD Geist
    Thanks Maelstrom,

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I did'nt quite get what you meant by an "absolute url." I'm not totally clued up on html I just no bit's here and there, plus I've fallen victim to DREAMWEAVER! I'm more of a designer really, trying to get my head round the technical stuff. Could you please point out briefly which bit of the code I should be looking at.

Thanks for your help

MD
    <td background="images/top_bar_extend.gif" width="*" align="left">

Thats the line there. Try making it an absolute URL. This means you want to reference the exact url where the graphic is.

<td background="http://www.concrete-media.com/images/top_bar_extend.gif_bar_extend.gif" width="*" align="left">

That is the exact location of the graphic and may help your problem with NN...

BTW there is nothing wrong with dreamweaver. I use itmyself. The key is knowing how to hand code as well.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Maelstrom,

but it is still not working in NN, although is was fine in I.E 5, is there some way of the displaying the image without using the background tag.

MD