SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up CSS NavBar Online Generator

Hi people
    Saw this about thought i would share it with you all.

www.webkris.de/css_Navbar_Tool.shtml

Hope it comes in use with someone

Si

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a 404. :-(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be useful, but I would find it easier to hand code than use that interface. Something that could make it easier and possibly more appealiong, is to put the color values as, maybe an ActiveX control next to each place looking for a hex value for color. Right now it's a separate window that as soon as you click back on the form, you lose the window with the hex value. Sure there's way around that but it's annoying and saves time to hanbd code. But a good idea if they can perfect it.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just seen it thought I would post it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting that, siphilp...

I've book marked it for future use. I would probably be coding by hand, but hey, if the tool works...

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That works great. If it creates code that is compatible with all browsers I would use that all the time.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't tell you want Browsers it works in. If I have time at work I will write an app that does the same thing. Maybe me and a couple of people from sitepointforums could split the work load?
    I know i am always busy.

Si
    Last edited by siphilp; Jan 18, 2002 at 15:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, at this point, my open source projects are SketchPAD (Content Management System), SketchMAIL (a portable email client w/o a URL yet), and SketchSTYLE (which will be a online CSS editor with GUI).

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SketchERRIFIC! :-p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to put you down or anything but why? Macromedia and other good web authoring companies who produce applications do a great job as it is.
    I know MAcromedia products ain't cheap for an individual but there are powerful freeware apps out there.
    Your content management system sounds good. I hope your using .Net technologies (c# etc ) with XML as this is the approach you want to take.
    Haven't looked into creating an online content management system to the full, forums, voting polls etc yes.
    I am also in the middle of creating a new IE toolbar which is specifically for web developers...WATCH THIS SPACE..

Let me know when your system is up and running would be good to see.

Si

.net install meltdown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is pretty cool. I especially like the pop-up for the colors.
    I can't say that I would use it though, I handcode it myself first. One thing I did notice is they use pt. for the font-size which (IMHO) is not a good cross-browser practice. Also, if you're only targeting newer browsers, you create the same effects with just CSS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so people know. I HAVE NO RELATION TO THE CREATORS OF THE NAV BAR GENERATOR. I don't know its limitations, cross browser limitations etc etc. I just saw it in a magazine and thought i would post it.

If i have time i can write an ASP app combined with Javascript to create a good multi platform / multi browser nav bar creator.

ANY TAKERS TO SHARING THE WORK LOAD?

Si

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have something like this here: http://anarchos.xs.mw/crossmenugen.phtml
    ck :: bringing chris to the masses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by siphilp
    If i have time i can write an ASP app combined with Javascript to create a good multi platform / multi browser nav bar creator.
    ANY TAKERS TO SHARING THE WORK LOAD?
    Si
    Not putting you down but why? I thought you just told me there's loads of free apps and Macromedia does a good job. I'm on vacation so I had no patience to respond to your post, but now I'm responding.

Why do other people create mail programs? Why do people create content management systems? After all, isn't there Outlook Express? Isn't there phpNuke.

Of course there is,but just perhaps I can create something that fits ME and maybe my clients BETTER! That's why we do these thing, is it not? Why should Linux have come around? After all windows is a perfectly good OS. Besides there WERE alternative OS's. I mean, there's OS/2! What the heck. Why do open sourcers create apps?! Because they CAN! And they usually meet their own needs better than some other company can.

Incidentally, I am not using .NET and have no intention of doing so. No offense to .NET'ers but I can do it better for what I want in open source approaches.

Oh and also, I hate Macromedia's CSS creation. It's bull!

If you want updates on the different SketchWARE's, then sign up for updates. I'm not likely to keep you posted other than that. I'm turned off by your cocky attitude.

<back to vacation>
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well alot of people were on about its limits so i WAS going write something where everyone had imput on, so that it would meet everyones requirements.
    But if you can't hack being asked a general question then thats your problem not mines. Take it how you want it.
    I write apps all the time doing the same thing as ASPMAIL, google IE bar etc from c++ to Java, .NET to Delphi, but i customize it to how i want it. Thats all you had to say.
    Oh and i wasn't just referring to Macromedias CSS creation, but then you would have known that eh ;-) (now being cocky)

Si
    Last edited by siphilp; Jan 21, 2002 at 03:41.

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't looked at the link, but from the sound of things, I have already made this type of thing using javascript it's self. As for making an ASP app, I had contemplated making it with file generation and stuff.

Sip, I'll help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by siphilp
    Well alot of people were on about its limits so i WAS going write something where everyone had imput on, so that it would meet everyones requirements.
    But if you can't hack being asked a general question then thats your problem not mines. Take it how you want it.
    I write apps all the time doing the same thing as ASPMAIL, google IE bar etc from c++ to Java, .NET to Delphi, but i customize it to how i want it. Thats all you had to say.
    Oh and i wasn't just referring to Macromedias CSS creation, but then you would have known that eh ;-) (now being cocky)

Si
    Indeed, I knew you weren't just talking about CSS generation but I was referring to it. I also don't necessarily like their dhtml either. I got news for you man, ASP, C++, .NEt and all other forms of Microsoft programming, although good and having a following are not THE ONLY forms of programming out there. Some people, including myself, prefer alternate methods.
    Sketch
    Last edited by Sketch; Jan 21, 2002 at 08:51.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look mate. I also develop in the linux environment. I write linux apps for personal use and i sometimes help my friend whom has numerous projects on sourceforge.net. I don't know why you want an arguement but you ain't getting one.

So back off and enjoy your vacation.

Anarchos I like your implemtation of a CSS nav generator.

Si
    Last edited by siphilp; Jan 21, 2002 at 09:11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it getting hot in here?

I don't usually put myself in the middle of these things (O.K. so I do, but that's beside the point ;-), but this seem kinda silly to me. Both of you seem to be very capable developers, so this exchange is pointless and fruitless.

Sketch, I think you misinterpreted what Siphilp meant. I don't think that he was at all dising your work or your ideas -- Siphilp was asking what seems to be perfectly reasonable question: why. I think, You would have been better served by a sales pitch than anything else, at that point, Sketch.

Siphilp, in the future, it may behoove you to use smilies with anything you write which may be construed incorrectly. Forums are especially tricky because we can't see your moods and the subtleties that we use in face-to-face communication just don't transfer across the net. That's happened to me a couple of times.

Anyway, good luck to both of you in your respective endeavors! Now, I'm off to interject myself in another conflict. :-D

BTW, Sketch, I signed up for the SkecthPAD info. :-)

~~Peace Out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look guys!

I'm sorry I overreacted. I appreciate your peacemaking Ian, and I apologiuze for misinterpreting siphillip. Good luck.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor