SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think blogging will take over the media??

I just had this idea when i was writing a paper for my journalism class, what do you thinK? I mean look at youtube its like a video blogger and has higher ratings than cnn.com!
    READ THIS!
    Need a way to boost blog traffic and make money?
    Check out this free eBook:
    Super Tip

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by Take over? Replace? Perform better?
    Sara

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No I dont think that blogging will see the demise of the traditional media. It can help it by having millions of contributors and will certainly aid the dissemination on the global information but dispatch the media - no.

YouTube may well have a higher rating than CNN but that is only because of the mass traffic and diverse range of videos available on it. It wouldn't have a higher socio-economic value than CNN - Would you believe it if some bloke came on a YT video telling you that interest rates had fallen by 5 points overnight and that the Dow Jones was in freefall?

As a global audience we rely on the media to keep us informed on daily events, YT is pure entertainment.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Supplement, not replace. Though I'm glad internet news in general is giving newspapers a swift kick in the

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it blogging will replace traditional media techniques, in the same way that downloading music won't stop people buying CD's, or sending e-mails hasn't replaced sending letters. It just adds another medium to it (and in the case of buying music has considerably reduced the price of CD's).

Take daily newspapers for example. They all have websites (with blogs) with the news stories, but they still sell millions of copies of their newspapers every day.

It's just adding another string to their bow for them to shoot us with!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce View Post
    I don't think it blogging will replace traditional media techniques, in the same way that downloading music won't stop people buying CD's, or sending e-mails hasn't replaced sending letters. It just adds another medium to it (and in the case of buying music has considerably reduced the price of CD's).
    I don't know about you, but I never write letters anymore. All my outgoing mail is either bills or legal/tax stuff. I might send postcards or holiday cards once in a while but mostly I use the phone or email.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce
    Take daily newspapers for example. They all have websites (with blogs) with the news stories, but they still sell millions of copies of their newspapers every day.
    The American newspaper industry is getting hit hard because of online news. The Los Angeles Times is for sale for example, and hasn't found any buyers though they've been for sale for a while. Journalists and editors are really scared of it all right now.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not surprised. I think the next few years will see the slump get even steeper, as young people like me who are accustomed to reading the news online don't get into the "adult thing" of buying newspapers. I certainly won't and I bet a lot of my peers won't either.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Recently the AJC announced a move towards it's online news which meant a lot of displacement of traditional print jobs. The AJC is the largest publication in Atlanta...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the traditional news sources are feeling the blogosphere growing, they still manage to shut it out in a lot of situations. I happened to come across a situation like this yesterday over at a familiar and very technically accurate blog I read regularly:
    http://www.geneticsandhealth.com/200...-illegitimate/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it won't take over it. As a few have said, supplement it.

For one thing, the net won't take over the offline space and the media is really heavy in the offline space, the media is more dominant offline than it is online.

I think most media companies will have some type of blog on their websites to enhance the information they disseminate though, a lot already do.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way, traditional media is here to stay. Simply due to the fact that they make hell lot more money then any blogger can and as long as they make money, they will be here.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can't, it is not organised media.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I really don't know whether we'll be printing the Times in five years, and you know what? I don't care either." -- Publisher of the New York Times (here)

But seriously, Vinnie is right: supplement, but not replace. Even if news does someday go paperless, the blog model does not suit daily news. (and I hope it does not go paperless, as I hate reading very long articles on the computer screen--plus, until they invent good, light, digital paper ... or some sort of compact reader, who's going to lug their laptop on the subway? ).

Blogs are very good for getting out the opinions of a few people, but they're not very good at displaying a huge amount of news and info at once--which newspapers must do. I see blogs as a good way to supplement news (i.e., the way ABC's website uses The Blotter as a dump for their investigative leads... then transitions to full stories or video when they have the scoop).

In fact, Nielsen//NetRatings recently reported that that traffic to the top ten online newspapers in December 2006 was up 9% year-over-year, and this was due to blogs on those sites which saw traffic leap 210% (13% of the total).
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.

Blogging in general has lowered the signal to noise ratio of online content. Thats a bit of a sweeping statement but it is true. For every 1,000 people running their own blog maybe only 10% or less have much worth saying and even less of that total do it well. It's a bit like letting everyone who reads a newspaper write a column in one and finding the good stuff gets trickier.

Paid for editorial from people who have trained and worked their way through the ranks will always have a place while rising stars of the blog world will also rise and hopefully someday be financially recompensed for their efforts.

At present I see blogging as a step just about posting on forums, pretty much everyone can do it and most of it is cackle though there are some hidden gems lurking just waiting to be found.

R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see way too many "spammy" blogs. Blogs with nothing in it than links to other sites or copying news and events. I want to read personal ideas and thoughts. And quality ones, not 3 line posts. That makes the phenomenon still not as "wonderful" as others think. I just hope a lot of the junk will just disapear ..

SitePoint Enthusiast vivek94401's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said dojo!

Blogs will never take over the media. Most of the blog writers have day jobs. Media writers have just one job, that is writing. Many blogs are good, no question about that. But, "taking over" media is just not possible.

When newspapers sense the competition in electronic form, they will simply move their content to electronic delivery.

Newspaper lose revenue because of online classifieds, that's a different topic!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog is a new media but bloggers are not jornalists, it's the paradox

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both professional journalists (independent) and amateur bloggers will take over the media. This will be the democratization of information, because a very small group of individuals could set up a media company through professional blogs.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't hink blogs will take over the media. People see a lot from the written media because you see it everywhere. Also people talk about it too

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blogs will either supplement or annoy but, either way, they probably will not replace traditional media.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only news I see is online news sites ( I have Google setup to display recent headlines from various sites) and news on TV. Rarely read the newspaper anymore.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't think blogging will replace media. And i agree with the point of view of Acquiesce.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it wont take over, there is no oversight in blogs. You can write anything and you dont have to provide facts, sources or truth. Or am i talking about FOX, haha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blogs and the mainstream media diverge in such immense ways that talking about one "taking over" the other almost doesn't make sense. As pointed out, media companies are huge conglomerates with sometimes hundreds of employees roaming the world. Blogs are collections of websites with links. How can blogs compare to this? They don't. Blogs remain in a different category from "the media." Asking "will blogs take over media" has affinities with asking, 50 years ago, "will chain letters take over newspapers?"

In short, no. And I'm not even sure if the question makes sense given the categorical difference between the two.

Good discussion!
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't see blogs taking over traditional media. Blogs are interesting to get the latest buzz on an issue, but I wouldn't consider them "news" at all.

Now, if you'd asked if online news sites will take over traditional newspapers or the 6 PM news, I'd probably say yes. I still get the newspaper because I like having something to read over coffee, but I look online when I want current news. Newspapers will never be able to compete with the instant updates you can get online.
    Get more backlinks!
    Auto-submission to 300 quality directories for only $20.