User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

getty threads closed?

Hi everyone,

new to the forum and like many have recieved an upsetting mail from Getty.

I have read the other thread through, but dissapointed the thread was closed down. Like wise, two more have been stopped by the admin.

can anyone or the admin team explain why the thread was closed and where I may go for other support.

many thanks for your time,

Chen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint is just avoiding possible legal issues really. That and we don't really want people signing up for the sole purpose of discussing Getty.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also very upset that the getty topic has been closed. This was a lifeline to many many people who felt threatened by gettyimages.

People have been contribiting to that thread for a long time and it is vital we hear the conclusion to these cases.

I think we are due a proper explanation as to why we are being effectivly "gagged"??

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keepmyhead View Post
    I think we are due a proper explanation as to why we are being effectivly "gagged"??
    I guess you didn't read the post above yours?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not being gagged. SitePoint just doesn't want to get sued is all. And I don't blame them. If you look in the many, many pages of that thread, you will find resources and communities that like-minded individuals have started off-site to specifically discuss the topic. It may be worth the few minutes it takes to find them to check them and and join them.

That, and there was a poster causing trouble (either deliberately or not, it's not my place to say for certain, though as a regular member at the time, it's my personal opinion that he was being deliberately confrontational), and SitePoint didn't want to have to deal with it any longer, so they closed the thread.

Those two issues are the main ones though.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read this thread with much interest as well, and was actually amazed how long sitepoint let it run. The legal issues could get quite hairy for sitepoint or the individuals.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getty Dispute

Hi, All

I got one of those letters from the getty people over a year ago, they wanted about 2000 from me for an image that was on my site.

This is how i dealt with it so far:

when i recived the letter, and an invoice attached to it i found it very strange and very odd that they were trying to invoice me for somthing that i did not have any knowledge about, anyway i tired to call them but just got through to an answer machine,
    i left a message, but know one got back to me, i also sent them an email,

Then about 2 months later i get a reply to my email telling me that the invoice was valid i had to pay or legal procceding will start, so i thought, okay, lets go for it then, i never done anything and left everything, and waited for thier legal people to get in touch with me.

Then about 6 months later i get a letter from Moreton Smith (MS) saying that they are acting on behalf of thier client getty images and are chasing an invoice that is outstanding, so i called MS office and spoke to a lady about the invoice and told her how can you be you be asking for an invoice that i am not accepting she just said it was outstanding and had to be paid she,
    well i told her to go and tell your client that the invoice is in dispute, and i am not paying, she told me i must email or fax my reason, i said okay, i will do that, after i came off the phone i thought, wait ..! i am not going to do anything again, lets see what happens next,

then i hear nothing for 2 months, and i get a call from MS office staff, telling me that he is chasing an invoice, same thing again, i said to him that i am not preapared to pay the invoice because it's not vaild and i never ordered anything from getty they have no contract with me, i asked him, can you tell me how would i know the image that was on my site belongs to getty, where on the image does it say copyright property of getty images. i also told him can you tell me when did getty tell me that i am using an image on my site that belongs to them and i will be charged for if not removed..? i explained to him that the only correspondence i have had from getty is the invoice and a letter telling me i must pay or else.
    suddenly he said to me that his client was prepared to negotiate and give me a discount on the invoice, i told him why should i ask for a discount when i am not accepting the invoice, i told him to take me to court as i am not paying, do what you can, he asked for my solicitors name and details so i told him to write to me, it just seemed to me that this guy was trying to negotiate with me to get me to accept the invoice but a i refused and told him not to waste my time, and put the phone down on him,

i heard nothing for about a month, then i get another call from, yes you got it MS again, i think this time this guy was a senior manager or somone try to give me a lesson on law and all the rest, he asked me to update him about the conversation i had with the last person from MS, so i told him to go and ask the person i spoke to i am sure he will fill you in with all the details, he said he wanted to hear my version, so i told him exactly the same as i told the last guy, and told him that i am not paying the invoice and he can do what he wants, he just said that he will go back to his client getty images and tell them that the invoice is disputed, and that was it so far, so i guess i am waiting for the next call or letter from them, i wonder what they willl come out with next, but i will go to court with this if i have to, i'd like to hear and similar experiences,

i will keep you all posted.

Thanks
    s

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm closing this thread as we do not want to continue the discussion. That is why the original thread is closed.